Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Creel
There have been several posting recently both in the FF section and the General section about the proper way to handle and release fish. I'm not wanting to reopen that discussion here. It did start me thinking though and I realized that I go out on the water unprepared to keep fish. I practice catch and release but if for whatever reason I would need to take a fish I would be up the creek without a Creel. So my question(s) is this. If you practice catch and release are you prepared to keep fish and what type of creel do you use or would recommend? I'm thinking of getting a Polar Creel but was wondering does that style fold flat enough to fit in a fanny pack or tucked into my waders? Any help here would be much appreciated.
[signature]
I don't pack a Creel. I try to stay as minimal as possible. I also use small hooks and squished barbs so if I keep a fish it is by choice.
I did catch one that I thought was the ONE that would be table worthy, so I took some P-Line (which I use for tippet) and doubled it over to make a stringer. I do carry plastic bags...garbage pick-up mostly but worked to put the fish in to get it home.

Before you buy a creel, try fishing with a satchel or a sling, if they don't bother you, you will probably be fine.
[signature]
It seems to me that creels are a thing of the past... When I hit the water I typically have a cooler in my trunk with ice to keep my lunch in so if I ever want to keep a fish ( which on rivers seems to be not worth the effort) I can just drop it in the cooler. Usually i only keep a fish when I go to strawberry where I can have easy access to a stringer/cooler on the boat or shore. But I find when I'm off fishin the river and typically a mile or two from the car a picture will do the job for me... Besides, costco has my fish already cleaned and filleted for me!
[signature]
I have plastic bags in my vest like FG, so if I did need/want to keep a fish I would clean it, bag it and throw it in the vest.
[signature]
I used a creel for years, mainly to carry the small amount of gear I used back then, but also to keep fish in. I'd just throw some plastic bags in your vest instead. Creels, especially polar creel with it's single strap, have a tendency to swing around and be a pain in the butt. If you have some bags, you can do as Remo suggested...
[signature]
I probably keep a fish more often than it is generally considered "cool" by most fly fishers. I spend a couple months every summer eating all-local (nothing from the store) and a nice wild brown or cutt is a very satisifing dinner.

I too perfer to travel light. In fact it was only a couple years ago that I upgraded to a pack - from just having my mini Orvis watertight fly box and a roll of tippet in my pocket. So the thought of carrying a creel is not that appealing to me...

I keep a little nylon stringer in my pack. Maybe takes up about 2 square inches. It's not much more than a piece of rope with a loop at one end and a little metal spike clamped on the other. The spike is threaded through the gill and then through the loop. I stick the spike in the ground on the bank and move it with me as I change spots.

This way the the fish keeps nice and cold and fresh in the water.. which, if you plan on continuing to fish, should last you a lot longer and with better results than putting it in a bag or in your vest.

Speaking of bags... Kota needs to make a deposit from time to time, so I've clipped a dispenser of POO BAGS! to my pack.

Highly recommended, even if you don't fish with a dog. The little rolls are very very compact, the perfect size for "frying pan" trout (12 inches or so, which is the size I think tastes best). Great for garbage, guts, and lots of other stuff. Handy.
[signature]
I like your style.
[signature]