Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vladi worm...
So I was killing some time today and I came across the vladi worm aka "the condom fly" so I'm wondering if this is this an all around fly or specific to certain types of waters? I read there was some controversy among purists seeing as it mimics "bait" but it seems its no different than a san Juan worm. Does anyone use it locally here?
[signature]
That thing looks sick! I bet it would be killer after a rain
[signature]
That's what I was thinking! I have never seen one of these at any of our fly shops... They look pretty easy to tie up though
[signature]
I like it. Material might be new but the pattern isn't. Use red flex-tubing but put a white thread lump in the middle and it is a killer night crawler.
[signature]
[quote TylerKunz]So I was killing some time today and I came across the vladi worm aka "the condom fly" so I'm wondering if this is this an all around fly or specific to certain types of waters? I read there was some controversy among purists seeing as it mimics "bait" but it seems its no different than a san Juan worm. Does anyone use it locally here?[/quote]

"Condom Fly" go throw it in the Jordan River, plenty others in there I am sure!
[signature]
EEeewwwwww! I think I just threw up a little.
[signature]
Hell, FG I bet if you tied up a "Turd" Fly you'd slay em' also!

P.S You are the one who fishes that nasty @ss water...[pirate]
[signature]
I HAVE ONE OF THOSE!!!![laugh]

[Image: P7210007400.jpg]
[signature]
Nice. I still have an awesome Carp spot that you need to try.
[signature]
You say when and I am there! It is terrible, waiting for May not for run off, but for CARP! I am so addicted!
But Middle P has been filling the gap till then.[Smile]
[signature]
I bet that UV chewy skin would work awesome for that Ill have to try it!
[signature]
Ya I'm going to try and tie up a few of these this week! Also what's the appeal of fly fishing for carp? It's gotta be the fight right?
[signature]
Yes, and the fact that the majority were over 30" and I am guessing 10 lb and up.
[signature]
Makes sense! Although I would need a much stronger fly rod to land those bad boys
[signature]
I am using a 6 wt. Might try a 5 this year. Just don't have very man 5s[Smile]
I bought the older CGR glass rod from Cabela's in a 7/8. A real noodle. I want to try it[cool]
[signature]
Another material to tie this kind of fly in is the girl's ponytail holders. They are basically small latex rubberbands in a variety of colors and sizes. They look to small to use, but they aren't because they stretch an amazing amount. I really like the ones that have sparkle in them too.

Fun to play with!
[signature]
Something that I should add, is that you sometimes have to really look around for the ponytail bands. Walmart carries some in the hair accessories near the pharmacy. They also have a different color assortment of them in the girls' apparel dept!

They also make great chironomids.
[signature]
When I tie my shell back scuds I cut a thin strip from a ziplock sandwich baggy then lay along the back of the dubbing and tie in. I then wrap 7x tippet around the scud to give the ribbed look.

Wouldn't be possible to dub the hook with pink dubbing or even use pink globug yarn cut a extra wide strip from the sandwitch bag so it completely wraps around the the dubbing and then wrap the tippet around to create the rib...

Or even with the globug yarn you could cut 6 inch strips, then pull clumps of it and twist like a rope and wrap around the hook.
[signature]
I use Scud Back. Nice and stretchy, different colors too.

http://www.wapsifly.com/sk.html

Of course the key element here is the "Shrimp Foil" The sheen. I am not sure if Mylar could work as it doesn't stretch.

http://www.bluequillangler.com/Products/...QhOlr_VnQU

Material List:
#4 Hook
.25 Lead Wire
3/0 Danville Pink Thread
Pink Condom
Shrimp Foil
6x Mono Rib
Tying Instructions: Hook. Secure Thread. Wrap Wire. Tie in condom. make even base of pink thread. twist condom. wrap up to where the hook flatens out. untwist condom. wrap up to eye. with untiwsted condom wrap all they way back to the bend. tie off at bend. tie in shrimp foil and rib. with big space wrap thread to front of fly. pull shrimp foil over. wrap untwisted condom over. rib with mono. whip finish.
[signature]
[quote cpierce]Something that I should add, is that you sometimes have to really look around for the ponytail bands. Walmart carries some in the hair accessories near the pharmacy. They also have a different color assortment of them in the girls' apparel dept!

They also make great chironomids.[/quote] the good news is my wife and sister leaves these aroun all over the place so I'm covered there! Thanks for the tips ill try it out...
[signature]