Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass Fishing
I am looking for some one who can tell me the trick to fishing with a popper.
[signature]

Hey there WolleyBugger,

Welcome to BFT. I fish the popper mostly with the flyrod so here's my slant on the deal.

I like fishing the popper on a flyrod because usually they have comparitively soft tips with the backbone later on down the shaft. I use what's called a bug taper to get it out and accurate. I believe that fish can tell on the initial bite the resistance of a plug or fly.

Therefor, I like to fish my popper slow, very slow, very, ver, very slow with a lot of 1 minute pauses so the fish will really inhale the bait when its got a hold of it. So many anglers actually pull the bait out of a fishes mouth on top water baits due to over anticipation. This technique is best when you sight fish or actually believe a fish is in the vicinty.

So the maximum times to fish the method I like, other than warm water fishing, is when the fish are getting ready to build spawning nests (NOT DURING SPAWNING) and when the fish come shallow in the times the water is cold but still fishable.

If you're using the popper as a search tool just cover as much ground as you can. For this, a popper is veeeeeeery effective!

My favorite patterns are Froggy, Super Popper, Frog Frenzy, and the Black Popper. They are all acrylic with big eyes. Some guys like the Deer Hair Poppers.

From your board name, I figured you were a flyrodder.

Again, Welcome

JapanRon
[signature]
I've got a few poppers but have yet to use most of them. I've been quite successful with one that I got out of the "frog" section. It's a basic black, hollow plastic with a double hook going through it, turned up so it's snag-free.

It's great for fishing on top of weeds... especially lillypads. Try to get it in or near an opening in the pads and slowly, and I mean slowly work it back to you quick little jerks... just enough to make it pop. After each pop, just let it sit there for a while. I usually wait 15 to 30 seconds... longer if I can help it. If you get it on top of a clump of leaves, try to "jump it" until you get to the edge. I believe that getting it to jump on top of the leaves helps call the bass to the location.
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2]Welcome to Big Fish. I fish about the same way with my poppers. The slower the better and don‘t pull when you see the water splash wait a few seconds then pull. Also a trailer hook work good. Let us know what you catch on it and show some photos.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I have some tricks for you with a popper. In the am, when the fish are active, work the popper with a cadance. Work it real fast, pop- pop-pop-, spiting water for 1/3 the retreive, stop fro 3-5 second, then do it again, 1/3 more back, then stop for 2 seconds, and then the same al the rest of the way back. When the fish are slower, in hot weather, cast to the target, let it sit forever, 1-2 minutes. then a small pop. No hit, then pop-pop-pop-pop- then stop for 30 seconds, I f that doesn't work, move to a new area.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool] Hey there WolleyBugger2, I guess my friends here filled you in pretty well on the techniques. I would just like to give you a big welcome to BigFishTackle website message boards. I hope that you find the information that you need here. If not feel free to ask me or any of my many friends here.[cool]
[signature]
welcome to the site wolly fishing popers can be a blast stick with it it will come to you
[signature]
well all I can say

spin cast or bait cast, bubble five foot leader then your popper. cast out over top the weed beds short fast jerks with the rod will draw um in...

fly rod killer!!!! nine foot tipet, on your popper, use it like a fly with short strips

cane pole, the action just dont get any better. tie that popper on the end of your line and just let it out as far as it wil go and make it play leap frog on top the water.
[signature]