Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crispy Perch Eggs
[#502800]The neighborhood stray cat falls in love with me everytime I come home with some perch. He will fight off every cat in town for some of those little delicate eggs.[/#502800]
[#502800][/#502800]
[#502800]I was wondering if anyone has ever tried any of those Asian recipes? ........ Or, tried to make roe bait with Borax, like they do with salmon roe?[/#502800]
[signature]
Next time you catch a bunch of perch, save the egg skeins. Break them open & stir them into a bowl of chicken eggs & then fry them just like you would regular scrambled eggs. You'll like 'em. You can also just roll the intact skeins in corn meal & fry them in butter.
[signature]
I do know growing up my grandpa always saved them and cooked them right along side of his bacon and eggs. I tried it but it got in my head and couldn't finish them. I may have to give it a try again now that iam older and do my onw cooking.
[signature]
[quote GEEZER]Next time you catch a bunch of perch, save the egg skeins. Break them open & stir them into a bowl of chicken eggs & then fry them just like you would regular scrambled eggs. You'll like 'em. You can also just roll the intact skeins in corn meal & fry them in butter.[/quote]

Holy moly...that makes me nauseous just to think about that.

You're a regular Bear Grylls!
[signature]
Out on the North Carolina coast (where the Wright Brothers first flew) they sell that exact dish for breakfast. They call it scrapple, but the scrapple in Pennsylvania is nothing like that.

I had it, and it's pretty darn good. I'm going to have to try perch roe. Think I'll try it sashimi style first - right outta the package, as it were.
[signature]
in Japan at Jim's time of year there is a lot of celebrating the new year and such. we ate carp eggs, flying fish eggs, perch eggs, and tout eggs. they would cure them both loose and in skeins. most were cured is a sweet tangy brine. not sure of the recipe but I would eat them still if I could find them.
[signature]
My wife is from western pa and loves that scrapple stuff. I dont have the marbles to try it considering its got liver in it.
[signature]
i have tried them and they have the texture of sawdust guess mixing them with chicken eggs aint a bad idea. some of my southern friends deep fry crappie roe & it was better then the perch sacs we tried. think ill stick to them after they get fertilized and swim around for 5 years.[Wink]
[signature]
My hunting buddy (North Carolina native) loves them. I took him ice fishing at Yuba a few years ago and when we cleaned the perch, he looked at me and said, "You throwin' those (egg sacs) away?!?!" . He explained that they were a delicacy that he and his brother used to fight over when they were small. He fixed some. I agree with the sawdust assessment. Not really for me, kinda fishy too. But, to each, his own I guess.
[signature]
and they kinda pop as you chew.

tried some mixed in with some mashed tater mix, then fried. Worked out pretty good.
Hey - it's just protein right?

I have tried some trout roe - cured and sacked. Tried curing some salmon roe this summer. Gotta get out and fish it more.

Hmm, add some bacon to that egg-mix, with liver and cheese - might make good catfish bait! Make a dough.
Every time I clean Perch my daughter circles around like a Seagull untill I fry some up. The trick is to cook them whole in oil untill they are crispy on the outside and the equivilant of over medium on the inside. cooked this way they are yummy and you avoid the cardboard texture that others have comented on.
[signature]
I'll stick with good old Tobiko toppers on my sushi (like tonight's rolls).

Good stuff if they pop. Bad news if they mush.

Tonight they popped.

(Asahi - Orem...Good place.)

I suppose trying fried perch roe could be alright. Maybe I'll just carry on wondering though.[Wink]
[signature]
mmm tobiko.
[signature]
Nothing ado about perch this time around, but I took my first stab at Sushi, wanna see some artwork - check in with Roghet! These were 'fake' crab, but fun, and tasty all the same.

Maybe smoked Kokanee next time!

[inline "First Sushi Attempt.jpg"]
Careful, CS. That could only be the supermarket stuff in your photo, right?

I suppose there's little danger in imitation krab, but when you get into the hard stuff, you'll want to make sure the guy preparing it is "authentic" sushi material.

Get to the tuna sashimi and you could develop an addition.
[signature]