Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vancouver Island Salmon & Halibut Report
Ok been awhile since I gave an actual fishing report. So here we go. The fish are in boys and unlike the previous 2 years there are some good numbers of bigger fish around. last year it was tough to find a fish over 30 pounds. Not this summer so far. Today we finished up at Otter Point for the last hour and a half of our morning trip as I was getting tired of pulling weeds off the lines up at the light. At about 10:45 we hit what I knew was a big fish by the long powerful strokes of the downrigger boom before the line released. A great battler ensued with a very long run of line off the reel. After 15 minutes we had a beautiful super chrome spring that was an easy 35 pounds along side the boat. I snapped a few shots of the fish in the water. Also got the while thing on the Go Pro. The hooks were in the corner of the mouth. He layed there still and I popped the hooks with pliers, never had to lay a finger on him. As soon as the hooks were out he rolled upright and slowly swam out of sight. My customer was informed ahead of time that we would likely catch fish that would have to be let go. He was fine with it and enjoyed the experience. Here are a couple of the fish and one from the day before.

[Image: DSC_0048-Copy_zpsa537bf68.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0042-Copy_zpsd53f0743.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0038-Copy_zpsaf7d0da6.jpg]
[signature]