Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
clean cut line
I need some help. My favorite catfish hole has been invaded. I use 65lb Spiderwire and something bit clean through it. should i use a steel leader?
[signature]
Are you sure it was cut by a fish? If a fish is what cut that braided line, that's some mean teeth on that fish. I don't see you have a lot of choice but using a steel leader or heavier braid. By the way welcome to the site.
WH2
[signature]
Thanks, I was holding the pole the entire time and i never felt anything at all. just when i reeled in there was nothing on the line at all. Do you know of some quality leaders? i don't want the leader to be the weak link in my setup.
[signature]
Maybe someone else can reconmend a good brand name for a steel leader but I have never had one break from any brand. They are not that expensive, so I'd say buy what you can find at your local tackel shop.
WH2
[signature]
Are there snapping turtles were you fish?
[signature]
There are only so many freshwater species with teeth. Let's name some of the more common ones right quick:

Gar
Bowfin
Pike
Pickeral

Those are the ones that typically inhabit the fresh waters around where i'm at, that have teeth. This is pretty common along North America as well. Of those 4 common toothy fresh water fish named above, NONE of them have the equipment to just simply slice through 65 pound braid like you described. At best, those species, with the exception of a large Pike (maybe), would just slightly frey the line. Braid is tough, and is my primary type of line for both fresh and saltwater.

With that said, there are a couple things it could be. Number one, you could have faulty line. Just last year I missed a rod and forgot to swap out the power pro on it, After loosing two fish, I realized the braid was the weak link. Braid gets very frail after a couple seasons, one season if used heavily or stored in a well lit area. The second thing is, if your'e fishing structure, especially around bridges or rocks, you most likely just got cut off from structure. Freshwater barnacles, old rusted rebar, any number of things are more than capable of slicing right through braid line with little to no resistance being felt by the angler. But that's the nature of trophy catfishing. If you're not getting hung or cut off regularly, you aren't in the right spot.

In regards to steel leader, I don't think that will help your situation much, and in addition, I doubt the catfish will find the extra metal very appetizing. Stick to fluorocarbon leaders. Consider where and how frequently you are getting cut off, and adjust your rig design accordingly. Consider the use of floats, slinky weights, and other innovations to limit break offs, and keep your bait in the strike zone.
[signature]