Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downrigger help!!
Hello, I am looking to buy a downrigger for my husband for his 25 foot center console. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I am looking to spend somewhere around $500, more if needed to get a decent one. He normally fishes for tuna, stripers, and other large fish off the coast of OCMD. Thanks for any suggestions!
[signature]
Welcome to the site Eangel. I haven't heard of a lot of boats that fish the saltwater that use downriggers, especially for tuna anre you sure he isn't fishing for Salmon?
WH2
[signature]
Cabelas sells them that won't break the bank and do the job for you. I assume he wants one for salt. If he fishes deep, yes he may need it but we here up north seem to get by without one. But you may have deeper water than we do.
[signature]
Thanks so much for responding! No salmon around here, we fish off the coast of Maryland. He fishes for all sorts of fish, tuna, marlin, mahi to name a few. He has outriggers on the boat but had mentioned adding a downrigger. I have seen all sorts of prices on the downriggers and am not sure if you need to drop $1000+ to get a decent one.
[signature]
Thank you for the responce! He goes about 40-80 miles out off of the coast of Maryland, so I think that the water is pretty deep. Do you recommend a brand or any features that I should make sure it has? I was definetly thinking electric, in specific I was looking at the Cannon Magnum 10. Any thoughts? Thanks again!
[signature]
Cannon Mag 10 is a good downrigger but I have only used then for freshwater fishing, if they are also made for saltwater fishing, I'm sure they would be good as well. As deep as your husband will be fishing, elect riggers are the way to go for sure. Sorry we can't be of much help.
WH2
[signature]
I just saw this post, granted, a few weeks after the fact. I was wondering if you had made a selection yet. I have always used Penn fathom master down riggers, and had great success. Cannon makes a good downrigger too, but I like how the base swivels on the penn, and the drag system on the spool.

A down rigger is a good tool on any boat that fishes the salt. Most of the larger species of fish that inhabit specific water columns can be targeted very effectively with a down rigger. Mackerel, Mahi, and even bottom species like grouper.

I hate that I was late seeing this, but hopefully it helps. If he's not use to running a down rigger, I would only get him ONE. He needs to get use to having that wire down, and get use to the operation of it before he gets too ambitious. Running two down rigger combined with outriggers and flat lines can be stressful and challenging for the average weekend warrior; with out the proper experience. Put other boats in the mix, yikes...
[signature]