Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat fly fishing help
I have learned how to troll with lures, but I am getting bored with it and am determined to learn how to fly fish from my boat. A few weeks ago I bought a Redington 9' size 6 floating line, which I have done well with on a few rivers, but can I use it on a lake? My boat can troll fairly slow, 1.2-1.5 mph, could I just let out some line and twitch the fly for some action, or no action needed? Could I also drift fly fish, or should I anchor down and start casting? What wold be your favorite way to rig up a rod for lake fishing from a boat and the technique used? Thanks for any advice you can offer to this fly fisher rookie, I will reply with results.
[signature]
I had the same fly rod outfit when I started and caught lots of fish dragging streamers and buggers with a floating line. Buy some beadhead buggers and start trolling and twitching.

The floating line will limit your depth, but you can still do well. You can buy an add-on sinking line in 12’ lengths (Cortland Line Mini-Heads for $12 at Sportsmans) that will give you a little more depth, or you can spring for an intermediate or Type II or III sinking line, but I didn’t use a sinking line until my second year of fishing.

My favorite is to wind-drift in 15’ to 40’ of water – preferably with some underwater structure. There is a theory that the wind creates a current so that fish face into the wind. Thus, they can see your fly coming at a distance rather than coming from behind. My experience suggests this is true.

I troll at .5 to 2 mph. Around 1 mph seems to work best. Yes, twitch the line as you troll and/or strip it in. Vary the timing and length of twitches (an inch or so to 2 or 3”) until you find what works. It helps to keep the rod tip next to (or even in) the water such that the line runs straight from your hand to the fly with little or no contact with the rod. This gives you a greater feel for subtle strikes. But I’ve also caught fish with rod at 90 degrees to boat with lots of slack in the line.

If you just drag a bugger around Strawberry right now, I think you’ll have a hard time not catching fish. Then refine your technique from there as you gain experience. It’s a blast.

P.S. Listen to any advice from FlyGoddess. She knows.
[signature]
Kevin pretty much covered it. Floating line now and in the Spring is very possible. It will depend on how fast you are moving.
I don't use sink tips so have no advise on them. I have used them before however, just prefer full sink.
The faster you move, the less the line will sink however. All lines need time to sink and they will all hit bottom eventually. The "TYPE" just tells you how fast they will get there.
My experience is I will use Intermediate on calm or slight breezes and move very slow. If there is a wind I will switch to a Type II and I will probably still be in the same zone.
Also, how much line you have out. Many times I am down to a couple of wraps of line and then backing, so basically 80' of line out. in search of scary fish.
When using a Type VII I am either moving fast or stripping very fast in most cases, but I also use Type VII for deep nymphing with a very slow retrieve.

I don't think Strawberry is a gimmie, but your chances are good. Try using a long leader, and maybe do a count down before you move till you find the zone they are hanging in. And if you see rising, which you will right now, cast right to the rise. Caught a lot doing this.[Smile]

I am a firm believer, anything caught on conventional gear can be caught on a fly.
[signature]
Oh, I have used those 5' sink tips from Cabela's. I used them on sinking lines however.
I added a type IV sink tip to my intermediate several times. Meant I didn't have to switch out spools in the middle of the lake and it was just enough to get me in the Type II zone[laugh]
[signature]
I have used both sinking lines and floating from a boat. For me it depends upon the conditions. Are the fish surfacing? How shallow am I? I have drug full sinking line behind me in a boat and that was the only thing the fish were biting on. I do the same thing when I am in my toon. My last trip to strawberry I drug both a sinking and a floating behind me and was getting fish on both.
[signature]
Can't go wrong with a floating line, man. The Fish Gods invented split shot for a reason, so if you're having trouble getting it deeper into the zone, just stick a few SS on there and viola. Once you start tying your own flies, you can weight the living piss out of them with lead and tungsten heads. I almost always use a floating line, unless I know I'm going to be going deep for Mac's or Walleye.

I fly fished from my boat on the Berry last week and had a lot of success anchoring in 40 feet of water and just casting all around me. The water was calm, so I could see fish rising near by, but I also caught plenty that I didn't see, but would come up and smack it on the retrieve. Fly fishing from a boat is great fun.
[signature]
Fly fishing out of a boat is good. You can see the fish from the elevated standing position, it also makes it easier to shoot a lot of line out for farther casts. Plus I can have a cooler stocked with food and beerSmile.
[signature]
I have been successfull using a type II sinking line as has been stated by FG and others....for me personally i like to anchor and strip in streamers. I have not tried trolling expcept when in a pontoon. I will also use floating line when anchored and toss long leader emerger patterns when fish are sipping the surface. indicator fishing great too for deep nypmhing/chronomiding....as you may already know, two anchors will help you ensure that your boat wont spin about with the breeze.

I hate to fight steering on the boat and holding out a 9ft fly rod that is bent....using a spin rod is better for this. If you drift with the wind, this should not be an issue.
[signature]
[quote TroutBumDave]Can't go wrong with a floating line, man. The Fish Gods invented split shot for a reason, so if you're having trouble getting it deeper into the zone, just stick a few SS on there and viola. Once you start tying your own flies, you can weight the living piss out of them with lead and tungsten heads. I almost always use a floating line, unless I know I'm going to be going deep for Mac's or Walleye.

I fly fished from my boat on the Berry last week and had a lot of success anchoring in 40 feet of water and just casting all around me. The water was calm, so I could see fish rising near by, but I also caught plenty that I didn't see, but would come up and smack it on the retrieve. Fly fishing from a boat is great fun.[/quote]

You seriously use fly gear for this? Usually these species are too deep. Love to hear more on this.

Problem I read however is, you add HEAVY flies or a lot of SS it becomes chuck and duck, and broken rods. Sinking line is so much easier and uniform. You once said you type VII was too hard to cast? smaller diameter and weight is in the whole line. This is harder to cast then having all the weight right at the end? I have not experienced this, that's all I can say[Wink]

I just got back. Calm day with glass smooth water. A little chop was welcomed but did not come. I could see nice trout here and there maybe 3' to 5' deep. As I said, a nice long leader. Be careful on weighting flies as you want them to swim naturally. Too much weight or weight in the wrong spot they will not. In this case, Split shot about three feet up makes sense. Not the same as rivers.
[signature]
Haha, just because I fish for the deep guys doesn't mean I catch them. In fact, other than Tiger Muskie, walleye and Mac's are still the dirty bastages that I can't seem to get off my list. Lots of hours up at the Gorge trying for those pigs... Once I figure out some technique, I'll take you out in the old boat!

As for the heavy flies, I don't attempt to cast them, but rather just let line out, let them sink, then start jigging/stripping as I kick my toon away slowly. Caught a lot of fish like this, just never the ones I'm after.
[signature]
If you just want to catch a laker on the fly, and it doesn't need to be big, you should try the Green River Lakes up in Wyoming. I took my tube out there a few summers ago and caught macs, brookies, and rainbows on a type II line and mohair leeches and buggers. I had one morning fishing right at the outlet where if I fished the shallower side with more current I'd catch bows, macs if I fished the deeper slack side. They weren't monsters, but they still doubled up my 6wt and bulldogged like crazy.

As for walleye, if you keep fishing Deer Creek for smallmouth, you'll probably luck into one eventually. I caught a 26" on a mohair leech and a type II line there. I guess you're moving down south though, so your eye options will likely be limited. Still, being able to fish year round for nice bass at Sand Hollow sounds pretty good right about now as there's snow on the ground in my yard and I think I'm done for the year.
[signature]
I wasn't going to mention the Walleye at DC[Wink], but seeing how you put it out there, that is a possibility with a fly. And I agree on fly and......"sinking line"[Smile]
It is possible to catch anything, but you do need right gear and right conditions. I have three friends that have caught Sturgeon on a fly.[Wink]
But full sinking line.
[signature]
There's a book at most of the local fly shops called "Stillwater Success" that will help you a ton. I know because I wrote it and it answers the types of questions you were just asking.

You have the gear and the attitude you just need some time on the water to work out the details.

Best of luck.
[signature]
Sturgeon on the fly would be crazy. I still need to scratch off catfish on the fly, I couldn't imagine getting into a sturgeon on one. That's pretty cool.
[signature]
Depending on the size of your boat, a drift sock(s)help immensly. Floating line, 2 or 3 flies, casting into the wind and fast retrieving. Google up loch style fishing and wash lining.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Anybody who wants to specifically target walleyes on the fly should hit Starvation from July through September. The walleyes are often very shallow, in less than 10-12 feet of water, and chasing small perch fry and crawdads. Lots of them caught on small jigs, crankbaits and other lures all along the shoreline.

There are quite a few fly flingers who go there to target the rainbows and end up having to mess with nice sized walleyes that hit their larger trout patterns. Some bodacious smallmouth bass too.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Had lots of fun with my fly rod on the boat thanks to this info. Catching them on the fly rod is simply just more fun. I am still by far no expert, and am still learning different ways to try, but what a blast it has been! Here are few average ones that paid me a visit.
[signature]
Right On! I'm going fishing with you next time[Wink]
[signature]