Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter flyfishing
How is the winter fly fishing on the provo and small stems in Utah county? I have no idea on what flys to use! I know nymphs and midges but I don't know what patterns, also how do you fish you nymphs and midges? What rigs/set ups.
Thanks hunter
[signature]
Scud, sowbug, and midge patterns usually work all winter long. I haven't fished any of the local streams during the winter recently other than one insane venture in January of this year on a day when the high was 6 degrees. I had a couple of hits on olive Ray Charles scuds on the Spanish Fork river, but didn't catch anything. It was a fools errand, but I needed to fish and it wasn't getting any warmer. The people walking on the spanish fork river trail were looking at me like I was nuts. They may have been right.

Anyway, I've also had success on warmer days with attractor dries like royal wulff and even stonefly patterns that I was using as indicators in a dry/dropper rig. Not a normal thing, but it worked. It's really cool to watch a trout dart out from under an ice shelf on the edge of a pool to hit a dry.

Matt
[signature]
Any of the fly shops will show you how to rig up a nymphing rig and there's a ton of video on youtube as well.

For patterns use all of the previously mentioned ones and zebra midges, disco midges and thread midges.
[signature]
I go small for winter. Like #22 and smaller for droppers. Cripples or midge dries #16 and smaller. My #32 midge is great.
[signature]
I like throwing streamers in winter. If you find some deep holes, work the meat slow. Snowy days are some of the best days for tossin' meat. I would work it like a spinner, but slower. Toss above the hole and swim it slowly into and through the hole. It might just be a webe technique, but it turns out well.

Sometimes big flies like the Sex Dungeon and Meat Ticket work and other times smaller wolly bugger / scuplin patterns work.

Just don't work them too fast.

Also, I like whitey whackin' so rainbow warriors, copper johns, and scuds are also winter play.

Good Luck to you.
[signature]
Long leaders and small flies, I usually use a 10 foot tapered leader, normally I have furled leaders on but Ive noticed the furled leaders freeze faster due to there suppleness.

It also seems I do better subsurface or bouncing off the bottom then I do with dries.
so I usually fish a #20, in front ( Scuds, Hares Ear, PT, Prince Nymph, Copper John, or Barrs emerger ) and a 22 to 26 as a dropper ( zebra midge, wd40, serendipity, rainbow warrior, )
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]My #32 midge is great.[/quote]

I've seen you tie one of these and I still don't believe it.

As when Kung Fu could snatch the pebbles, I'll know I've arrived when I can tie a #32 midge.
[signature]
The small streams in Utah County can be a bit tough fishing in the winter- at least for me. Not sure which ones you're thinking about. The most productive ones for me in winter are American Fork and Thistle Creek.
Don't be afraid to throw bigger nymphs and some streamers on all those water if you want. A medium to large stonefly/pheasant tail/prince nymph works year round. In my experience they are equally productive as to smaller nymphs and scuds in winter. I fish them because I find it more enjoyable than messing with dinky flies. I've started to become every so slightly presbyopic so I might need reading glasses to tie on those small flies in the near future anyways.
[signature]
[quote riverdog] I've started to become every so slightly presbyopic so I might need reading glasses to tie on those small flies in the near future anyways.[/quote]

[Wink]Prescription, polarized, bi-focals are pretty amazing these days, and can be custom fit in a variety of lens colors for your specific needs. I'm just now ordering two new pairs for my new RX. Habervision, out of Colorado, is the company I use.

Merry Christmas to you, too. I'm heading to Campeche in 6 weeks, so pm me with any updates I may need.
[signature]
Thanks , looks like a good place to get some. I already wear glasses so I was planning to get the polarized bifocals for fishing for when I do occasional tie on the small stuff. Don't need bifocals for inside yet but only a matter of time.
I'm off to the Glades/10,000 islands in 6 days for another kayak, camping & fishing trip. The boys are all teens now and my brother-in-law is finally talking about targeting some tarpon this trip. Enjoy Campeche. Pm sent.
[signature]
I don't normally wear glasses but the eyes are getting worse. I do wear 150 to tie and use a magnifier on the tiny ones with the glasses.
But, when in the water, specially if I am walking, I prefer the flip magnification or the bi focal at the top of the glasses.
On the bottom it distorted where I was walking. On top, I just slide the glasses down on my nose and tie away.
Another choice I have is I wear one contact. One eye can see far away the other close. This does take some getting use to.
[signature]
Since we already hijacked the thread, how do you like the bifocal on top? I saw that option on the Habervision website.
[signature]
I tried a pair, but didn't like it myself. I look down at close things, and up at things more distant. If you order Habers, use the affinity code TARPON for the "50 percent off" price (which is really the everyday price).
[signature]
Do a 'net search for "stick on bifocal lenses" and you'll find lenses you can add to any glasses. You can even cut or trim them to fit or move them from glasses to glasses. Under $20.

I have some and love them. (Adding them to the top of the lens is SUPER for handgun shooting, btw!)
[signature]
ABSOLUTELY!!! that is what I use. I can put them on any glasses. Jim, they are not in the field of sight unless you look up with eyes instead of head. In fact I do not notice them at all till I slide glasses down to tie a fly on.
When I wore them on the bottom, it was hard to walk rocky shores.
[signature]
Sad to say, I've struggled with the age related changes with my eyes too and tying on anything over a size 20 is an exercise in fumbling around for a while. I need new prescription glasses soon and was wondering if you all have any recommended features that I could order to help me out while fishing. I know I'll need RX bifocals.
[signature]
I wear polarized prescription bi-focals from Habervision. Can tie on anything! They'll send you frames to try before you buy too. Discount code is TARPON.
[signature]
Thanks for the tip and discount coupon. Looks like it's time for some new bi-focal sun glass. I wear them all the time. It's nice to be able to see the GPS and what's on the iPod when driving.
[signature]