Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntington Creek
I saw a report that there are fish in the right hand fork from Electric Lake down to North Hughes Canyon and that there are fish in the upper half of the left hand fork. Can anybody confirm this? I thought there was a complete fish kill after the Seeley fire.
The report was correct. There are fish in the Left Fork almost down to the confluence with the Right Fork. The upper mile or so of the Right Fork holds fish too. The rest of the stream is without fish and will be for some time. Each time we get a storm the stream floods with the ash and soil so until the hillsides are revegitated there is no sense to put fish back in. Prior to the fire the stream had not been stocked in years. It was pretty much self sustaining. It is Sad to lose such a fine trout stream along with the surrounding forest.[frown]
[signature]
The areas you have mentioned are above the burn scar effected areas and remained relatively un affected by the seeley fire. The tributaries to the Left fork near millers flat and Cleveland res. were not really in the burn zone, and downstream from electric lake about 2-4 miles escaped the burn zone and scars, as for the rest, it's an unfortunate disaster. ruined a prestine stream, and if you view the area as I have, you will see it will take years for any kind of recovery. I'm very happy I was able to spend countless hours on that stream in my youth , and taking my kids there. My experience on that stream predates the paved roads and electric lake. And now will only be old stories and pictures for my grandkids. Loved that place.
[signature]