Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Encounter
Yesterday was my first time out on the water for 2014.
I walked to the middle section of this river. Across the river two guys were walking upstream. One of them yelled at me "that they were going to fish upstream and I needed to fish downstream". I ignored them. I arrived at one of my favorite holes and started fishing. The same person as before confronted me and told me I needed to fish downstream. Well I did not want any trouble and since my car was the only other car in the area --- I thought they looked like tire slashers-so I vacated the area. I am not complaining but wow this tops it all ---people telling me were I can and cannot fish. By the way this is a long stretch of river. But these guys wanted the top half all to themselves. Well, I know my way upstream without being noticed. So I went upstream and caught a beautiful 20" brown to start out the season. People can be interesting.
[signature]
You handled that ALOT differently than I would have.
[signature]
Me too! Would have depended on how much $ we were talking[Wink]
[signature]
Was this a guide and a client?
[signature]
Remo,
This was not a guide and client---Just two guy's wanting to hog the river.
---Keep those rainbow pictures coming.
[signature]
First come first serve If you got there first its your spot there's no such thing as reserved spot on a public river. There been many a time I've headed for a known spot I've landed fish in and there's someone fishing it. It would be absurd for me to tell them to leave I was going to fish it. The right thing would have been for those guys to ask to fish the run with you. I will say you handled that like a gentleman kudos.. If you don't mind me asking was this on the Middle Provo ?
[signature]
Makes no difference either way only wondered so I could avoid whatever company it was.
[signature]
Not the middle Provo.
[signature]
Obviously they should have discussed things with you and not told you what to do. Having said that I fish to get away from people hassling me. I'd have done the same thing you did and leave and fish upstream if that's what you wanted to do rather than fish downstream. I probable wouldn't have said too much because I don't like wasting my time on idiots nor do I want my tires slashed. My dog however tends to be very vocal and would have given them and good snarl and growl for sure. I think that's her equivalent of "go fist yourself"[Wink].
[signature]
Amen! I would have been happy to throw a big ol sex dungeon at the back of there head. This is why i drive at least two hours to fish... I don't even bother on the provo anymore.
[signature]
I ran into this several years ago (10+) on the Provo by Vivian Park.
A fly fishing instructor had his class on the river and wanted to be in the spot where I was fishing. He put on a huge show for his class....stomping down the middle of the river for 50 yards and then verbally laid into me about fishing "ethics", etc.
That was the last year I ever fished the Provo. Not worth the people you have to fish around.

How this instructor ever ended up on Saturday morning radio baffles me. Most arrogant jack-*** I have ever met.
[signature]
A friend and I were at the middle weeb fishing a couple of weeks ago and ran into a similar situation. A guy jumped in right in front of us and proceeded to fish up. Instead of fishing with/behind him we decided to go around and give him a wide berth. Once we made it a couple of hundred yards up the river and started fishing, it wasnt five minutes before him came charging up the river, walked through the hole we were fishing, and proceeded to fish at the next hole. It was only about 15 feet away. I couldnt believe it. As I tried to explain that he had no fishing etiquite, he proceeded to explain to me that he would be happy to engage in this behavior all day. Translated: Im fishing in the front and if you dont like it I will continue to race up the river and walk through all the holes wrecking them for you. I think that this type of behavior will become more frequent as anglers continue to be forced to fish in fewer open areas controlled by private property owners. Only my honost opinion.
[signature]
+1,That's about when I gave up on most of the Provo as well. You can still fish the Upper Provo without these idiots but that's more seasonal access. Too many stunted brookies but there's still nice fish to be found if you learn when and where to look.
[signature]
[quote rgreenland]I ran into this several years ago (10+) on the Provo by Vivian Park.
A fly fishing instructor had his class on the river and wanted to be in the spot where I was fishing. He put on a huge show for his class....stomping down the middle of the river for 50 yards and then verbally laid into me about fishing "ethics", etc.
That was the last year I ever fished the Provo. Not worth the people you have to fish around.

How this instructor ever ended up on Saturday morning radio baffles me. Most arrogant jack-*** I have ever met.[/quote] I took that class when I first started out... The guy is indeed an arrogant sob. You could more from watching YouTube videos than taking his class.
[signature]
Everyone keeps saying the Provo. With the land owners holding the rights to much of the rivers, sounds to me like the Weber is getting the same aholes.
A lot of fishermen and a little bit of rivers, this is only going to get worse before it gets better.
Even those nice little secluded spots are going to change I fear.
If I am fishing a spot and someone stomps in, I don't tuck tail and swear to never go back...I stand my ground.
The Provo is a nice river to fish and it does produce. In all the years I have fished and guided there, I can count on one hand the confrontations I have had.
By going there ONCE and being chased off then posting you will never go again does make it sound way worse than it is, but, Hey, that's okay with me. More room for me.[Smile]
[signature]
Not chased off, just hate the crowds and small fish, I will fish the lower a bit in fall and dead of winter when all the fair weather dBags are inside.
[signature]
[quote remo_5_0]Not chased off, just hate the crowds and small fish.[/quote]

That about sums it up for alot of folks.
[signature]
The crowds will come to other locations as well in time. As for size, KEEP a few.[Smile] I do see (not here) some very nice fish caught though.
[signature]
good point, i know the provo has some good ones and i have caught them, i just catch bigger fish more consistently on other waters with very little people to be seen,but like you said the crowds will eventually show up with the river access gone to the...........................well you know[Sad]
[signature]
Hopefully they all keep thinking that the Provo is the place to be [laugh]
[signature]