Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got Whales?

Hey there guys,

Myself and you dyed-in-the-wool anglers regularly see whales, porpoise schools, and seals when on the way to the fishing grounds in the Catalina Channel but how about your kids?

Most landings have whale trips going and it might be fun to take your children out! If for nothing else, to get them used to the boat and test their sea legs. Heck, they might want to go out again in the Spring to FISH! Pretty seaky huh?

Most landings have their trips avaliable on an open-party basis. case by case though. This might be a fun Holiday treat!

Those little grey whales are soooooooo cute. Recently we saw a Mother whale and her baby (adolesent) tagging behind her. She would spout and then a smaller spout would appear just a few seconds later.

Ya, and the enviro-nuts say we anglers have no thought of the ocean or its inhabitants! I say HA! to them!

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey, JapanRon, seeing porpoises and whales has always been a big bonus for me on any trips on the boats. I have also had porpoises surface nearby while tubing...both in the Sea of Cortez and in the salty canals south of New Orleans. That can scare the heck out of ya until you realize they are "the good guys".[/size]

[size 1]Probably one of the more interesting whale encounters I ever had was while fishing off the end of the Newport jetty at daybreak one winter morning. It was so foggy I couldn't see more than a few feet in any direction. It was also quiet, with no boats going in or out of the harbor in the fog.[/size]

[size 1]Suddenly, a large grey whale raised its head partially out of the water and blew a loud "HONK". It couldn't have been more than twenty feet from where I was perched on a rock at the water's edge. I don't think I screamed, but that definitely made my heart race for a minute. The whale sank back under and I did not see or hear it again.[/size]
[signature]
[size 2]I got a map question for you JP, " In days of old, what did map makers put on sections of the map that showed uncharted waters? "[/size]
[signature]

Hi there releaseit,

I think the most famous example is a map with a cautionary phrase saying something like 'there be seamonsters in these waters' or somesuch inscription! The usual method though was to just simplify or make the area past the known area more abstract.

The map showing ships falling off the far edges of a flat world is priceless! ha ha ha

Did you know that lots of maps drawn during the middle-ages had Jerusalem as the center of the earth with mixed mythical or religious geographical places.

JapanRon
[signature]
[size 2]I did not know that. I just happened to be watching a show about sailors of old and mapmakers. First time they saw a whale the thought it was a monster![/size]

[size 2] So the described it and the artist blew the pictures out of paportion. Like whales destroying ships, etc[/size]

[size 2] Then open areas of water not charted were marked " There be monsters here " with additonal pics of ships crashed on rocks, etc.[/size]

[size 2] Very interesting.[sly] I would like to get an old map and hang it on my wall.[/size]
[signature]

Hey there releaseit,

http://www.landmarkmaps.com and http://www.mcmaps.com as well as e-bay sell them.

I like the historical progression maps that show how say 'use of iron' was spread over the world.

JapanRon
[signature]
[size 2] Thanks alot for the links. I am actually going to buy one of the old world maps from 1816. Looks really cool[cool][/size]
[signature]
what do whales like to eat?? Haven't seemed to be able to catch one of those yet...[unsure]

And how bout them dolphins????

Aaron
[signature]