Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Featherlight fun
Been fishing with my featherlight a lot lately on small waters. It's a lot of fun to fish and for $20 ya can't beat it.
[signature]
You realize the Flyfishing Nazi's on this site aren't going to be impressed[shocked]. That said it looks like you already got your money's worth of enjoyment.Curious how accurate is it casting and how much does this "featherlight" actually weigh?
[signature]
I got one for $14. several years ago. Gotta love the bend
[Image: 29400.jpg]
[signature]
Not sure on the weight but here is a good reviewhttp://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.c...s.html?m=1 it's more of a fun rod that u don't have to worry if something happens to it[Smile] I have the 6'6" and the seven I want to try out the 8'.
[signature]
I thought that yellow rod was an Eagle claw.

Didn't Eagle Claw also come out many years ago with a yellow rod that they touted could be used as both a fly and a spinning rod? The "trailmaster" or some name like that?
[signature]
I said it already but man those are some beautiful cutts!

Now you just gotta get a measuring tape and the letters "PMD" in there and you'll have an excellent start to the comp!
[signature]
I have fished with Cameron (fly fishing manifesto) before. What a great guy. He listed the EC like this, the 6'6" likes a 5DT, the 7' casts with authority with a 6WF line, and the eight foot [url "http://www.eagleclaw.com/site/products/rods-reels/featherlight"]Featherlight[/url] feels more like a 6/7.
Being a glass lover, I had to try one myself.
The earlier models do need so help. I understand how they could be labeled as a combo. The guides were lacking a couple more and they were all sorts of sizes instead of the larger from the stripping guide to the tip.
The newer Eagle Claws paid much more attention to detail.
Good looking fish. Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
It was/is the trailmaster. Eagle Claw still makes new versions. There was an article about them in TU's magazine a year ago.

http://troutunlimitedblog.com/the-rod-th...ailmaster/

I could see the utility of having a fly/ spin combo for backpacking trips. I've often lugged both rods into the backcountry and it was a nuisance. I might have to look into getting one.

Speaking of vintage tackle, I was cleaning out my fishing closet and found my fathers old automatic fly reel. It doesn't take in line anymore. Does anyone know how to fix it?
[signature]
Problem I see with combos is the guides, but hey, if one can make it work, I say go for it! For hike ins, I take one fly rod, couple reels (weighted line) and a Tenkara.[Smile]
[signature]
As will with bft fly fishing contest 2014 catcherman [Wink]
[signature]
That's awesome u got to fish with him!! There's nothing more fun than swinging soft hackles on glass. You need to take one carping next time you go that's a good bend[Smile]
[signature]
I think the trail master is a different rod made by eagle claw. But u personally would just pack two different rods.
[signature]
Nice, something the working man can afford. I'll have to pick one up and give fly fishing a try.

[signature]
[quote Catcherman.]That's awesome u got to fish with him!! There's nothing more fun than swinging soft hackles on glass. You need to take one carping next time you go that's a good bend[Smile][/quote]

I could, but as I said, mine is the older model with maybe 5 guides. Lack of guides I am sure I would be fighting the carp for awhile to keep from snapping the rod.
I do use the Cabela's CGR in the 7/8. It is great fun.
[Image: 007_zps5bf63776.jpg]

Everyone should own at least one EC.
[signature]