Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Crappie Condos & Wiper Twins
[#0000FF]Between TubeBabe's ailing leg and Mama Nature's huffy attitude we haven't been able to hit Willard for a while. Trudged the tubes to the North Marina this morning for some overdue enjoys.

6:30 launch at our own private float tube launch (where they have it coned off for boat trailers). Air temp just under 50. Water temp 68. Jes fine for dunking waderless.

Lots of boats launching with us so we boogied out of the marina before doing any fishing. TubeBabe was first launched and caught her first crappie right at 7 am. I followed a couple of minutes later. Then nothing for a long dry spell.

We were dragging a minnow on one rod and pitching tandem crappie plastics on the second rod. After a half hour of no love on either, I used my GPC system (get pretty close) to triangulate a couple of humps that usually hold some fish. I think their new official designations are Rocky's Atoll and Rocky's Ridge.

Started getting post spawn crappie munches right away on my first spot. Tossed out a marker and called TubeBabe over after catching several in a row. Left her to work the active fish and I moved over to a nearby hump. Fish there too. Pretty crappie fishing.

In betwixt a whole lotta crappies I caught a couple of kitties...one so small I let him back in to grow some more. Also got surprised with a walleye that jumped. Well, actually it was a small smallmouth.

Then evidently a school of 21 inch wipers cruised through the area. I hooked one on a small blue and sparkle tube and had much fun. Stick bend and string zing. Fought at least slightly harder than the crappies.

Then TubeBabe went bendo on her spot. Another 21 inch wiper...on a white tube. Everybody on that part of the lake should have been able to hear her. She does warble a bit when fishcited. I was happy she got to play with one. She does enjoy the heck out of hearing that drag squeal.

We both had limits of ten crappie by 9:30 or so...after tossing back a bunch too. Decided to put up the small tubes and fish larger plastics and/or cranks. Good plan except all we caught were bigger crappies. Threw back a lot of footlongs or bigger.
Had quite a few that were hitting my 3" gulp minnows. They evidently couldn't read the "Wipers Only" sign I put up.

Weather was beautiful. No wind ever. A few fishing boats but no power squadron...yet. I managed to get a Willard slam...4 species. TubeBabe had much fun and caught a lot of fish...but no kitties. Unusual for the Kitty Queen. And her ailing leg held up fine.

Ramp was starting to get busy as we loaded up about noonish. A couple of other guys at the fish cleaning station. They got a few wipers and some nice walleyes. I think there is still some good fishing left until the water goes over the 75 degree mark. Then the walleyes will slow down and get more nocturnal.

Shad should be spawning soon. Carp were busy in the shallows from daybreak on. I think the cats are also looking for suitable dating accomodations. There are usually a lot more to munch our minnows. Oh yeah, I even got one crappie on a minnow.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Sounds like a lot of fun Pat, thanks for the great pixs and details.... Later J
[signature]
Sounds like you and Delores had a great outing. Hope her leg gets better soon.
[signature]
[#0000FF]The doctor told her it was a problem related to age. She told him she wasn't buying that, because her other leg is just as old.

She's a trooper. But she had to quit running full marathons.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Listen to the doctor! Remember, we fall apart piece by piece, think of it as uneven tire wear from a bad alignment. Ha! At least you have motors, and I hope she gets fixed up soon.

TD, any tips for finding post spawn crappie for those of us who don't have the lake bottom mapped out and would have a hard time doing so with pedal powered tubes?

Again, I don't need coordinates, but what am I looking for as far as depth, distance from shore, structure, in the big bathtub of "structureless" Willard? I would like to catch more crappie in there.

You also said you were casting for them? Do they get that aggressive, post spawn?
[signature]
TD sounds like you had a good outing. I broke my recent fishing hiatus today at willard too. The calm water was great the bugs not so much. I havent done well at Willard in the past but had a good day today. I have a post up. Willard fishing courtesy of Wiperhunter2 for me. Limit on wipers and walleye and one of those fat perch you didnt catch this winter. Was a needed diversion. Glad the Mrs got a wiper bet that is fun in a tube.
[signature]
Always enjoy your posts and pics tubedude. I am very interested in your trolling motor handle modification, perhaps you could share your creativity ?
[signature]
[#484848]Nice catching ....... Age related?...... Do we have to be related to age?[/#484848]
[#484848]Looks like the weather may hold up for some terrific days next week almost everywhere.[/#484848]
[signature]
Sounds like you two did very good today, glad to hear the crappie are still hanging in there. By the time I remembered you were up North fishing it was already 1 pm and I figured you had left.
[signature]
[quote Springbuck] Listen to the doctor! Remember, we fall apart piece by piece, think of it as uneven tire wear from a bad alignment. Ha! At least you have motors, and I hope she gets fixed up soon.

TD, any tips for finding post spawn crappie for those of us who don't have the lake bottom mapped out and would have a hard time doing so with pedal powered tubes?

Again, I don't need coordinates, but what am I looking for as far as depth, distance from shore, structure, in the big bathtub of "structureless" Willard? I would like to catch more crappie in there.

You also said you were casting for them? Do they get that aggressive, post spawn?[/quote]

[#0000FF]I have fished Willard since the 1970s...mostly by float tube. But I have only had sonar since moving back to Utah in 2004. Before that I had my best areas kinda located but didn't know why they were good.

Now I have the advantage of some old Google maps and a lot of sonar readings at different times of year and different depths. I have a better understanding of the underwater topography. But I still have to hunt down the fish on every trip. I begin by heading out of the north marina in a general NW direction...while watching the sonar. There is a lot of variation due to some gravel bars and depressions.

The first crappie-holding hump is about 60 yards almost due west of the marina. That is where TubeBabe and I caught our first fish yesterday. After that the depth drops and the bottom stays pretty constant to the west. If you go north...doing S turns...you will find a line of ridges and humps that rise about 2 feet above the bottom. Depending on depth and time of year they can hold fish of all species.

The most productive post spawn crappie area for us yesterday was straight out off Eagle Beach. There are several humps and bumps out there and almost any that were in 6-8 feet of water...with deeper water close by...held fish. But there were also some bigger crappies up to 11 feet deep in between. It takes good sonar and a lot of casting.

Yes, casting. I am more accustomed to finding the crappies and then making finesse vertical presentations. That works well under a tube...with a lot of fish coming from right under my fins only a few feet down. But yesterday I was making long searching casts. Often I would flip the bail and raise the rod to find weight...or get a good strike as I began the retrieve. They weren't bashful at all.

In case you missed it when I posted it last week, here is the old Google map showing low water Willard. The spots marked "exposed gravel & rocks" out off Eagle Beach are what you are looking for.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]I saw your report. Good on ya. You were in good company...but did you have to post a picture of him?

You are right about wipers being fun in a tube. Not like hooking them on broomstick handle rods while trolling at mach 3. We use mostly light rods and 6# line, with small reels...with good drags. The hit on a jig is usually not all that hard, but when you set the hook you know pretty quickly that it ain't no crappie. We were both chortling and guffawing about how many runs our fish made and how strong they were...until they finally got tired and wanted to rest in our nets.

Lemme know when you wanna get your tube wet again.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote Fishheads]Always enjoy your posts and pics tubedude. I am very interested in your trolling motor handle modification, perhaps you could share your creativity ?[/quote]

[#0000FF]Sure. I tried a number of different PVC ways to make a lightweight extension handle. The ones you buy are too heavy and inflexible. And since there are differences in tubes, toons, anglers and motors there cannot be a universal solution. Gotta be able to make it fit the individual need.

The best solution I have found so far is the blue flexible conduit sold in the electrical section of Lowes...less than $3 for a long stick of it. Start with about 24 inches and use a 1/2" PVC connector. Fits perfectly over the blue "smurf pipe" (electrician's term).

The tricky part is making the connection to go over the motor handle. I used another piece of 1/2" PVC (what else). Cut it down the middle on two sides...to about 2" from one end. Then use a heat gun or hold it over a burner to soften it so that you can mold it around the handle. I use a piece of 1 1/4" PVC to get it about right. Wear gloves to avoid burns while handling the hot PVC. And work fast because it hardens quickly.

As you can see in the pictures, I use a plain old hose clamp to tighten it on the motor handle.

That stuff is flexible, but it does break if you overdo it. You need to adjust your motor height and angle so that the extension rests lightly on your shoulder. That makes it always handy to reach up and adjust speed or direction. But better to steer with your fins and avoid putting too much extreme flexing on the pipe while making radical turns.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Sounds like you two did very good today, glad to hear the crappie are still hanging in there. By the time I remembered you were up North fishing it was already 1 pm and I figured you had left.[/quote]

[#0000FF]No problem. I know what you look like...and Brent had to go post another picture so I wouldn't forget. Glad you guys got some action.

We were off the water by noon. Not just because we are old and no stamina. Started early and quit early. Had plenty of enjoys and wanted to get ahead of the power squadron. Barely made it.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Well just had to take a pic of him still smiling after our last fish adventure. It ended well we got the fish, the lure and most importantly the side planer. I am hoping to get out a little more soon. Once again I am glad to see you guys got out together and caught some fish. It must strike fear into the hearts of fish when they both of you approaching in the fabulous floating fish magnets. They just decide a quick ending by chomping on the first offering that goes past is the best option
[signature]
[#0000FF]Well, I guess that explains it...suicidal fish. Better than flattering myself that I have a few things figured out by now. Silly me.

Whatever it is, I am always grateful for a good day on the water. And TubeBabe does not get out as much so it is even better when she can go and also catches her share of fish. Definitely helps with the domestic tranquility issue.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
What a day mate!!! That's sounds like the perfect day on the water. Out there with ya lady, catching plenty of fish. Good onya !!

My mate went to Indy this year (as he does every year) and his mate got a 16inch crappie just by his house on a lake he lives by.

Keep up the good work!!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Good to hear from ya, mate. Hope all is well in Oz.

The crappies in Utah are okay but definitely not of the size they grow in other states. I got them up to 19 inches when I lived in Arizona. And a 16 incher was just "decent". But most of the lakes where crappies grow big have lots of food and long growing seasons. That doesn't describe many of our lakes...except Powell in the south. And the stripers down there eat all the shad about every other year so the other fish find it tough to make a living.

Any other trips to our part of the world on your calendar?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]...........

Any other trips to our part of the world on your calendar?
[/#0000FF][/quote]

All going really well down here Pat. With winter coming on the pelagics like mackerel and such are moving out to warmer water but we will see snapper and Jew fish start to come on the bite real soon.

I should be back over there sometime this year I hear (waiting on the USA guys to get there poop in a pile and tell me when they are ready to rumble)

I will sing out to you guys when I am heading over but don't hold ya breath, it keeps getting delayed.

I may just have to bite the bullet and pay my own way over ;-)

Cheers and beers
[signature]
"I may just have to bite the bullet and pay my own way over ;-)"

[#0000FF]What is the rate of monetary exchange between our two fine nations? Maybe we can get some kind of fund set up to defray your expenses. On the other hand, there may be some who would pay to keep you there.

We all bring joy into the lives of others...some by arriving and others by leaving.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I would have posted sooner but I had to take another friend out for a day of catching with Willard as hot as it is. It was a pleasure meeting you, Tubedude, especially since you filleted our fish for us!
I hope you don't mind another pic of your day added to the thread.
[inline DSC04383.JPG]
[signature]