Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle mini-floatilla 9-4-14
[#0000FF]TubeBabe and I met up with Masterdaad (MD) at Rock Cliff launch on Jordanelle this morning. Got there about 6:30 and MD was already afloat...no fish yet. Air temp a cool 42. Water was 64...warming to 65 about noon.

Had to launch about 150 yards out on the old road bed...out from the end of the ramp. Water level is low and getting lower. Decent launching for float tubes, kayaks, paddleboards and swimmers (see pics). But only a couple of boats wandered up into our private lake from other launch areas.

The past two days of wind plus the front moving through last night probably didn't help. Fish were scarce on sonar and even more so on our lines. We had to do a lot of searching to scratch what we did.

MD was top rod for numbers. He worked over the small smallies most of the morning...with Senkos and other smallie offerings. TubeBabe and I were mostly doing a perch search...bouncing small tube jigs along the bottom. She caught the first perch. Then I caught one a little later...a small one. That was it for the perch. But we both caught enough small smallies...on accident...to get our tug quota.

I scored the only trout of the trip...a nice 17 inch rainbow...on a black and red hot-head fly pattern fished behind a copper jig. Lots of zing on my string. Much fun.

As TubeBabe and I were moving back toward the launch area to pack up and boogie, MD hollered over the walkie talkies that he had found a perch patch. He caught several nice ones and kept telling us to come join them. But we had to make an early day of it. So did he, but he was fighting off having to leave so he could score a few more perch for his family. They like perch. Who doesn't?

[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for the great suggestion on the spot TD. My first Jordanelle pure fishing experience was a blast.

My trip was early morning bass and a Perch explosion to finish.... with a 90 minutes soaking lures between.

I caught bass on a number of lures (senkos, flies, spinners) but most came in on a popper.

Once I found the perch, size 2 rainbow spinners and TD jigs were the ticket.

My final tally was 13 perch and 8 SMB. 6 perch and 3 SMB made the trip home with me for dinners over the weekend.

One upgrade became apparent this trip -- I need a fish basket instead of a stringer. I would have had more room for more perchies!

Thanks again TD... we'll have to hit the water together again soon.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yeah. Fun trip, good weather, good company and even a few fish. We managed to sneak that one by My Nature. She has blown out our previous plans.

Check with me before getting your basket. There are several options available. I prefer the 19" X 30" without the floating lid. Can supply pics and suggestions for rigging with the foam noodle around the top for floatation and tube bumper.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Great post and photos. The sunrise photo is spectacular. My son and I have the schedule to purchase tubes or a jonboat in 2016, giving us another full season to learn how to fish better before we add the element of a tube or boat. But reports like these make me want to go into debt yesterday for the gear and get to floating already. Must. Have. Patience. Sure is fun to window shop and dream, though. Glad you all had fun!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks. Glad you liked it.

Good luck with getting rigged up to go afloat. It does require a few bucks that may not always be "net spendable" in a tight family budget. But a lot less than a boat...both to buy and to operate and maintain. Yes, there are limitations...in speed and range...but tubes and toons also open up fishing in a lot of spots you could never hope to fish from shore. And when you learn to take advantage of the advantages you will definitely improve your catch rate.

Over the years I have often compared "floatation fishing" to hunting with a bow. Both require you to learn more about your quarry and the habitat...and both get you more up close and personal.

Of course, the more experience and proficiency you have with basic fishing...before you go afloat...the better you will do from a tube or toon. However, you will almost be forced to become a better fisherman as you learn how to better use your new craft. Definitely a case of the journey being its own reward.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
So you kissed the fish and caught your wife. Not a bad day at all. Anyone ever tell you that you have too much fun?
[signature]
[quote TyeDyeTwins]So you kissed the fish and caught your wife. Not a bad day at all. Anyone ever tell you that you have too much fun?[/quote]

[#0000FF]Huh? Either my writing is unclear or your interpretation is affected by some mind-altering substance...or you just got a weird sense of humor. That's okay. I plead guilty on that one myself.

Too much fun? Are they regulating that now too? Next thing you know we will have to buy a fun permit along with our fishing license.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
With over 2,700 posts I was just trying to mix up the responses a bit. Message received. [:|]

I saw that you have 10 times that amount yourself. You must have worn through a few keyboards by now LOL.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I have accumulated a few posts under my handle. A lot more in the past, when I had multiple BFT responsibilities...on several boards. Recently I have maintained a lower profile but I can't roll back the "odometer" on my BFT mileage.

[/#0000FF][#0000FF][#000000][size 3]"I saw that you have 10 times that amount yourself. You must have worn through a few keyboards by now LOL." [/size][/#000000]

As a matter of fact, I just replaced a 3 year old keyboard from which I have worn off most of the letters. Must be defective workmanship...or just a loose nut in front of the computer.

Here's some of that batch of smoked kitty I promised. Enjoy.

[inline "12. AFTER 10 HOURS.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hi MasterDaad,

When you get your fish basket, make sure you troll slow enough as to not open the lid and have your fish swim away. When I'm done fishing, I usually bring up the rope and fish basket into the pontoon boat. I have a Sea Eagle frameless with a floor so I have room for the fish basket and anchor, and tackle.
[signature]
Great report, Pat. I haven't fished there in seven years and back then it was mostly trout. It sounds like you had a great trip with good weather and everyone caught fish. It doesn't get any better than that.
I need to know something, did tubebabe see you take the wakeless picture?[Wink]

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
[signature]
"I need to know something, did tubebabe see you take the wakeless picture?"

[#0000FF]Nope. She was some distance away. But if she had been closer she would have probably called my attention to those female paddle-boarders. She humors me in my old age. She knows I still like to look but I'm not much of a threat to chase them down and make a fool of myself.

You might want to put that Rock Cliff area on your fish bucket list for October. The rainbows and browns move in there pretty heavy. And the closer it gets to Halloween the more they like bright orange...with black.

[inline "HALLOWEEN BUGGER.jpg"]

[inline "RAMBUNCTIOUS RAINBOW.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]