Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buying your first boat
I have never had a boat before and have been doing lots of research lately. Would you feel safe on Strawberry or Flaming Gorge (with small family) on a boat similiar to this one...

http://www.crestliner.com/sportsman/1650-sportsman/

I understand that you need to really watch the wind and if there is any potential for weather to stay closer than further.
[signature]
I would, no problem. More people does make it more crowded and less able to move and will rock the boat. Just stick with the weight requirement of 1200+ with allowing for Motor and Gear.
Nice deep V.
[signature]
That boat isn't bad, but I would consider it a minimum for the Gorge and great for Strawberry. As long as you have either an electric motor or kicker-trolling motor, you are all set. The reason for this is if your main motor dies, you definitely need a way to get back to shore beside oars. If you have more than 3 people (including you) you should be OK, but if you have 4 or more, you want a bigger boat. I used to have a 16' with a 35 hp outboard and I would fish the Gorge, but I would stay fairly close to the ramps and get off as soon as the wind started.....not after the waves are 3'+. Good luck
Scott
[signature]
Thanks for the advice. I would like a little bit bigger of a boat but I dont have the storage space in my garage for something bigger than 7.5 ft X 21ft. Hopefully I can find something used that will suit my needs and that I can also sell down the road if my needs change without taking the loss associated with a new boat.
[signature]
I don't think you need a bigger boat, just one that is set up better, IMO you need a windshield and a bilge pump. This is my boat and it is a 16 fter:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/show...ppuser/118
I would not be afraid to get on the Gorge or the Berry with it. The windshield offers you move protection and the bilge pump is something all boat that size should have, plus a steering wheel gives you better control of the boat because you are sitting in the middle of the boat not at the rear of the boat. How much are you looking to spend and are you set on buying new or will a used boat be ok?
[signature]
http://www.crestliner.com/vision/1600-vision/

This is the boat that I really like. I like that you can upgrade to a full windshield down the road. I really like the jump seats. And my wife's crossover is rated at 3500 towing so that should suffice.

I was trying to see if buying a smaller used deep v would suit me better and be capable on waters such as willard/berry/bear lake/gorge since I dont have any boating experience. We have a 3 yr old and maybe another child in the future so there is less monetary risk with a smaller boat. As it is now, I only get out once a week to fish.

Buying used for around 8k and able to sell it a year later for 7k sounds ideal.
[signature]
The first one will work fine. However Iike the options that come with the second one.
[signature]