Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inflatable boat for light-duty fishing?
I know this isn't exactly the right time of year to be worried about getting a boat... haha. But since a "real" boat is pretty far out of my budget, even looking on Craigslist and stuff, I've been considering getting an inflatable raft-type boat to take out on lakes and haul around in the car for camping/fishing trips when spring and summer roll around again.

The one I'm liking best so far for its price and reviews is the Intex Excursion 4:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005S6GY74/ref=...IUEH6L16FU

I think I can sell enough plasma between now and April to pony up $140 Smile

The idea is not to have any kind of motor, I'm not trying to cross lakes with it or troll or anything. I just want something to sit down on with my fiancee (by the time we might actually get out on a lake with one of these, she'll be my wife!) and get out a little away from the shore so we can hit the fish hiding deeper and try dropshotting, etc. I think I'll use it pretty much just on lakes like Utah, Deer Creek, Strawberry, Payson, etc.

I realize we'll need to be especially careful with hooks, lures, knives, etc. Kind of a no brainer for an inflatable boat.

Anyone have experience with fishing from a boat like this? Or better yet, with this particular model? The reviews look encouraging. Just wanting to get opinions.
[signature]
My first boat was a four-man rubber raft that wasn't half as nice as that boat. I caught plenty of fish from it.
[signature]
I bought an inflatable kayak made by intex. I will never buy anything made by intex again. It was constantly springing leak. It was not punctures but leaks at the welds. Intex would not stand behind it. I ended up throwing it in the trash after less than a year.
[signature]
Good info, thanks for the replies so far. I'm aware of Intex's less-than-stellar reputation (and their customer service has a downright horrible reputation), but it seems like this model might be their only diamond in the rough. The reviews look good anyway. What if I were to blow it up and apply tent seam sealant to the welds before ever taking it out on the water? It would take like 20 minutes probably.
[signature]
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=678&ad=32508535&cat=147&lpid=1
[signature]
If you can afford it I would go with float tubes. But rafts are a nice alternative if the cash flow is short.
[signature]
If you're taking the wife, she won't be happy if you're constantly springing leaks, making repairs, and getting caught in the wind rowing a raft. As the saying goes, a happy wife is a happy life . . . I'd save, give more plasma, or do whatever it takes like sell something you don't need and get something a little reliable with some kind of power, gas or electric. At least look for a used raft of whitewater quality like a NRS. Something less than a thousand with a patch or two, but more seaworthy and motor capable.

And all that "in love with everything" and "I love what you love" goes right out the door as soon as you sign that piece of paper, or shortly thereafter. When something goes wrong, its your fault.
[signature]
I have a Seahawk 4, seems similar to the one you are looking at. I've had it for two Summers with no problems (seems to be made of quite tough stuff, but I'm still careful). I've only taken it out on reservoirs (no streams), but so far all has been fine.
Just a few suggestions and comments:
1. I would suggest modding (or pimpimg) out the bottom of the boat by buying some plywood and cutting it out to fit the bottom. I know this is extra expense but well worth it in my opinion. You can then use a camp chair, cooler or bucket to sit on rather than the inflatable tacos that come with it. I found quit a few videos on youtube on various things you can do to mod your raft
2. When the wind picks up it is time to come in.
3. Unless you get a motor don't go too far from where you started. The oars are not that great and you will get a good workout if you go very far (and believe me the wind can take you quite a ways). Also the model you are looking at can take a small motor if you want to go that route in the future
4. The hand pump that comes with it is kinda pathetic, if you have access to an electric pump (the kind that plug into the 12v in your vehichle), it makes life a lot easier, just make sure you do not overinflate.
5. Don't forget the other stuff like life jackets and anchor
[signature]
I have the Excursion 5.

I modified it by sewing a $6 5'x4' tarp into the carry rope that protects the bottom front of the boat from any kind of punctures on shore.

That really helps the durability but I really can't row backward very easily as the tarp drags in reverse. I end up with holes, but without it I got holes every trip.

I have had friends get the tougher MARINER boats with much better results.

I'd get a good used Mariner from KSL before I bought another Excursion.

I'd take my older children out on the Intex (15-20 yr old girls) and the four of us each with a paddle could row it easily against the wind.

You will want a little electric motor on it sooner rather than later but if you have to do without for a while, you can get by.

Just make sure you watch the weather.
[signature]
I bought one of the rubber rafts many years ago and used it twice. You can't help but get wet and maybe even muddy getting in and out. One will be rowing constantly unless glass smooth which is rare.
Just about everyone that has bought one of these is no longer using them is my bet.
There is better choices but they do come with a price.
As for porta boats, we also looked at them but they wear out and are hard to keep set up after time.
I now have a rubber raft (with a floor that you can stand on) and a few pontoons. The Raft is for rivers as it is a lot of work on still water, even with a motor.
My suggestion is look at a two man pontoon. One where you can use your feet/fins plus oars.
I see people all the time out on Strawberry in those rubber rafts that require help getting back to shore. Also the oars that come with them are lacking.
I would be leery of this raft at that price considering most PFDs cost more than it does.
Don't skimp too much, it is your lives.
[signature]
Well, you know what I'm going to say...

Go to one of the Lifetime Products Outlet stores (Riverdale and SLC) and look at a kayak. They make single-seat angler versions and two-seat fun versions. You can fish perfectly well from the two-seater.

You don't have to pump them up; you don't have to worry about punctures, and they aren't kites in the wind.
[signature]
Rocky brings up a good option.

Just a question:

Why are you looking at an inflatable raft? Is it just cost or do you have storage and transportation reasons too?

The nice thing about my seldom-used raft is it sits in a small box in the garage when not in use and it fits into the trunk of my sedan when I want to take it out.

Thinking about it a bit more though, I'd recommend two fishing tubes before I'd go with an inflatable raft.

My dad and I have fishing tubes and we take them every time over the Intex boat for our inflatable trips.

You can almost always find good used fishing tubes on KSL for $50 or less. Many of them include the fins. You will need to throw in some waders which may make that option a little more expensive, but not much.
[signature]
I'd love to get a fishing tube and/or a kayak, but the raft appeals to me over those options at this point for a few reasons:

1. The significant other is nowhere near as enthusiastic about fishing as I am. If I bought her a float tube and waders, it would seldom get used - all the hassle of blowing up the tubes, getting the waders on, going out, drying everything off when you're done before you can pack it away, etc. wouldn't appeal to her. With a raft I can take it out of the trunk, blow it up, and we're on the water. She doesn't have to wear special clothes or get wet or do anything, and we can sit together.

2. The cost is better than even a small hard boat or float tubes if you include waders, and that's new vs used too.

3. It packs up and fits in the Saturn.

Don't get me wrong, you all make good points, and I would love to eventually own a float tube or two, a nice pair of waders (I could make good use of the waders in the Provo River on top of using them in the float tube), a kayak, a boat, or some combination of the above. Thus far though, for the simplicity of just hitting the lake on a whim for an afternoon with my fiancee, the boat is still on top in my mind as far as getting the job done in an economical way.

Keep the comments coming though - I have a good several months before I need to worry about actually making the purchase, and I could well be in a different financial situation by the time that rolls around. Regardless, the more I know about various options, the more educated of a decision I will be able to make to fit our needs. I'm not emotionally attached to the boat, it just appears to be the best fit at this point.
[signature]
I think you are vastly overestimating the "simplicity of just hitting the lake on a whim" when talking about an inflatable raft.
[signature]
All good reasons to consider the raft.

If I were doing it again, I'd stay away from the Excursion line and get something like this instead:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intex-Mariner-3-...Domain_0&h

It's much more rugged, better seats, and the new ones even have a hard floor option.

You can get a motor mount to add a little electric motor to it later if you want.

For the small extra cost, it's a much better boat.
[signature]
I'm liking this thread because I have a similar need. I want to fish out on the water with my son, but I am thinking that it would be more gratifying if we were in the same vessel (as opposed to separate tubes). This way, we can help each other, carry on conversations easily, etc. Another limiting factor is I do not want to tow anything. I do have a large E350 Ford van, so I can fit some of the smaller boats/kayaks inside there.

A two person Kayak seems appealing, but I'm intrigued by the inflatable raft option. Even greater portability. I do like that the kayak would be easier to maneuver.

Tubes? I had been considering tubes as my first option until I read this thread. This makes me back up a half-step and consider other alternatives.

Thanks for all the great information.

Wishin' i was fishin right now. . .
[signature]
I agree with Rocky's comment, plus I don't think you have had experience with those rafts... If you had, I think you'd decide to save the money and wait for something better.... One option that may have been mentioned and I missed it, since I started reading mid-post is check out your local DI.... My bro finds more great deals on float tubes and pontoons for pennies on the dollar... For $5 he gets nice tubes and waders are really cheap there as well... Yes they aren't new, but they get you in the game very cheap and you can figure out what you really want, and save up for it... If your significant other turns out like mine, her interest in outdoor stuff significantly dropped off after we had kids... So keep that in mind as you invest in toys at this point... Also for the togetherness time on the water, consider renting a canoe... Probably won't do it that often and if you hit the right spot they rent them pretty cheap... Good luck... J
[signature]
Before my father bought his motor, we'd lash our fishing tubes together and the two craft become one so my motor could pull both of us to the fishing area and in some cases, troll our fly lines.

It's not hard to tie two tubes together.

Being able to separate when you have two mostly self-sufficient fishermen only increases your ability to hunt the water for holding schools of fish when you reach the target area (which for us is usually within speaking distance -- although we have taken walkie-talkies along if we intend to spread out more).

There's no way my father and I would get into my inflatable raft when we have the fishing tubes. The raft is actually MORE of a pain that two tubes.
[signature]
If you are interested in the best type of small compact type of fishing boat, I have a never used 10 ft. Porta-Bote. You can see the info details on You Tube(Porta Bote set-up).
[signature]
Good comments all, thank you. I hadn't considered DI, and I hadn't considered tying two float tubes together.
[signature]