Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield
went up to scofield today and it was a blast. fishing was great, but it was like always lots of 10-14 inch fish and about 5-8 in the 15-18 inch range. still haven't caught any rainbows since the one i caught and the one another guy i talked to caught 2-3. like always the top bait was chub meat. it was cold today at 15 degrees holes and line with the wind were freezing up so it became a tent day. caught fish consistently throughout the day till about noon and it went from a fish every 1-3 min to 6-8 min. the canyon wasn't too bad on the way up a few slick spots but on the way home it was quite good.

hope this helps everyone! good luck.
[signature]
Thanks for the report.
[signature]
Cowboy Up!
Thanks for the report. How much snow/slush is on the ice? I also had a thought on the low number of rainbows caught - I wonder if the bait had an influence. You said you were using chub meat. I wonder if you switched to power bait if your rainbow catch would be higher?
[signature]
there was no slush on the ice and as for the other question i have never used power bait in my life and dont plan on it. so im not the one who would be able to test that out for you. i use jigging spoons tipped with chub meat for trout thats about it. i mainly fish for panfish and use just plastics and i fish the trout like i do walleye, but maybe there is someone on here who has tried power bait.
[signature]
Sounds like you had an awesome day. I wish I could have made it up there with you but I got an offer to fish bear lake I couldn't refuse. Did you fish in the same place we did the other day?
[signature]
Crappielover--Try fishing shallow for rainbows. I've caught plenty at Scofield near the boat ramp in Madsen Bay, but they're right up along the shore in 2-3 feet of water. When I ran into you over Thanksgiving weekend I caught several out of one hole that was in 2 feet of water, including one that was around 18" long. Any deeper than that and all I got was cutthroats. I assume you could also get them fishing shallow in deeper water.

I used about 2" of nightcrawler on a snelled #8 hook with a large split shot--no jigs or anything fancy was needed. In fact, I caught more without jigs.
[signature]
I'm new to this site and new to ice fishing. In fact today was my first time ice fishing. I got some stuff for Christmas, shelter, auger, and sonar, so today I took the kids out to Scofield by the boat ramp. Seeings how this was my very first attempt at ice fishing it was...okay. My kids loved catching the chub fish off the bottom but I was hoping to pull a trout on the ice. Any suggestions would be awsome.
[signature]
Thanks, you made me laugh about the power bait. I don't use it often either. I admit, I do own 1 dried up bottle (I try to be prepared for all situations). I was just wondering if the cutt to bow ratio was really big or if it was a bait selection situation.
Thanks for the info on the slush - headed to Mammoth or Cleveland tomorrow - they should be similar to Scofield.
[signature]
the DWR from my knoledge has stoped stocking bows in scofield and so my guess is it is a huge number difference for cuts to bows
[signature]
Welcome to the site and thanks for posting. At Scofield if all you are catching is chubs you need to move around and try deeper or shallower to try to get away from them.
[signature]
how thick was the ice and were there many snowmobiles out on the ice?
[signature]
went back up to the lake today with my dad and my two brothers. my dad insisted on fishing the flats out by the island and not in the dam arm where i have been having great success for the cuts. for a total i had two rainbows two tigers two chubs and one cut. my dad and brothers had 6-8 cuts between the three of them and 3 chubs. and wow was there slush on the ice!!!! i have like i said been fishing on the dam arm and there is no slush in there so i wasnt aware of the 6 inches of slush on the ice. the sheet of ice by the island was a good 10 inches and lots of snowmobiles and ATVs on the ice. i dont recommend taking the ATV out there we didnt take ours for the scare of having to dig it out like lots of the other people we saw doing it.
[signature]
You sure you went to Scofield and not Chubfield???
I have been there twice in the last week and get a few small Ethiopian cutthroats and a crap load of Chubs. I watched two groups of guys leave the ice PO'd because of the poor fishing! I sure hope something gets done by DWR to regulate those dang things!
[signature]
I say the lake is done!! poison it and start over.!![Wink] Then put some better regs to protect the bigger fish! There is no way that they can stop the Chubs now!
[signature]
I disagree. Scofield is far from over. People talk about only catching Chubs when all they do is drill one hole, throw on a worm, and sit in their tent for the remainder of the day. Catching chubs at Scofield requires little to no work. Catching any type of trout at Scofield requires a little more work and a little bit of knowledge. Consistently catching big fish at Scofield requires a lot of work, a healthy dose of experience, and a little bit of luck.

Purging Scofield would be like burning down a grocery store simply because the one item that you do want isn't at the front of the store in the first place that you looked.

Haters are going to say all they want about Scofield, but I never get skunked and I almost never pull up any chubs.
[signature]
+1
[signature]
What I'm sayin is, I don't believe there are enough big fish in there to even put a dent in the chub population! Time will tell !!! but when a fish not even 14 inches wins a tournament! That don't sound good at all!! I've caught chubs out of there bigger than that!! Maybe they should have a CHUBS FOR CASH tournament![Wink]
[signature]
That is a pretty Sad tournament fish. Utah state did a study this year that shows that the cutthroat and tigers are doing a good job managing the Chub population. I know Utah lake did a thing where they paid Anglers for carp. Maybe they should do that at scofield with the chubs.
[signature]
I have not been up to scofield this year so I can't really speak to the chubs out there. I do remember a post tubedude put out regarding chub facts. The biggest challenge is that they are a very long lived fish. A 12 inch chub can live for more then a decade. All the while it will spawn and produce baby chubs. Nothing will be eating a chub much over 8 inches so there will be a healthy baby producing population for a long long time. The key is whether the big predator fish are killing a majority of the babies each year. If they are killing the little chubs before they can get big, the best thing we can do as anglers is kill all the big chubs we can because we are the only real predators for the big chub.
[signature]
Went up to Scofield for the fishing tourney yesterday. I didn't Sign up to play but enjoyed seeing all the huts all crammed into the usual spots. Little did I know tht my 13 incher was enough to claim 5th place.
[signature]