Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Mantua Report 1-1-15
Took my nephew out today on Mantua and ran into CVFisher on the way out. Talked to Curt on the phone for a report. Sounded like he was doing very well. Anyway I managed to get ran over by my sled before I even got on the ice. Knocked me flat so fast I didn't know what hit me. After that bit of embarrassment I got even more careful and I was quite nervous of the thin ice at the edges, but we went for it and when I drilled a hole it was 6 - 6.5" thick. So I eased up a bit and loosened my life vest. Anyway plenty of company today but it was all good everyone was having fun. Fishing was sporadic we got 3 right off the bat. Then half hour later a few more. Fish would come through in waves and they seemed to hit anything with bait on it. Didn't matter size color or type lure just tip it with meal or waxies. We got 2 LMBs, both small 9", 3 Gills, one was 8", 2 perch, one was 10.5" and 10 bows with 7 over 13" up to 14.5". Fish quit biting for us just after noon. We hung a while longer and had one last hit that I missed, but the ice was really cracking and I had drilled too many holes close together so we decided to call it a day. On the way in the ice was really cracking from our weight I don't know how thick it was there but I suspect thinner than where we fished. Anyway a fun time seemed like most people were catching fish so have fun and be careful. J
[signature]
Nicely done Jeff. Looks like you did well.

I ended up getting there at about 1:30 and stayed until the sun was low. I got on the ice on the west side- and headed out near the middle as it was far from everyone else and I did okay: one big bluegill that measured 10", 7 perch, and a couple little rainbows...but I missed a few because I wasn't quick enough on the draw. Ice was a solid 4" out there near the middle of the lake.

I'll try it again next week.
[signature]
Hey Derek glad you got feeling better and made it out. That's a toad of a gill. Nice job. Sounds like you did great they had quit for us by the time you started. Glad you found some. Later J
[signature]
Gotta keep in mind Jeff, Derek doesn't have a graduated calibrated bumper board like yours, he uses a "quality" fisherman's ruler for his measures and claims.

[inline RULER.jpg]
Lookin good there! Glad you got out and into some.
[signature]
I should have used one of those on my bump board. Dang it maybe next time. Did you make it back to the pond? Man those weather conditions trashed my hands. They are so sore today, cracks and dry skin I can barely use them. Anyway good luck if you're headed out today. Later J
[signature]
Thanks for the well wish, it was fun even if it was hard on me. Trout are a little smaller this year than they were last year, but they hit good. Had one about pull my pole through the hole before I got to it, but luckily got there in time and the fish was still on. Well hope your schedule will let you get out and freeze with the rest of us. Later J
[signature]
What can I say, I'm all about quality.
[signature]
Skunked, my friend, two words for your hands: Bag Balm.

Run down to IFA or CalRanch and get some. It's mostly lanolin, and it's darn near a miracle.
[signature]
Ya know I may have to try some. Haven't seen that since I used to milk cows but it might save my hands. Thanks for the tip. J
[signature]
Ya mamatrout likes it too.
[signature]
Thanks for your report. Looks like a good time to me. If you can't find bag balm for your hands, aquaphor and eucerin are good options. A few years ago I refused to wear gloves and after an entire week of hitting Utah lake every day, my hands were wrecked. I couldn't even make a fist. My wife made me grease up my hands with eucerin every night and sleep with gloves on. I hated it with a passion but it fixed up my skin quick!
[signature]
Hey thanks for the tip, I did find bag balm and I think I'll try the glove trick over night. Hope that gets me able to get back to normal. Thanks for passing on that tip. Later J
[signature]
We'll see how it works for a skunk. Later J
[signature]
Skunkedagain you should try o'keeffe's working hands you wont be disapointed
[signature]
I haven't fished mantua in years where is good place to start? thanks in advance
[signature]
I appreciate that tip. It doesn't really work for me though, I have tried it several times and I can't stand the feel of it. I think the bag balm works better for me but I don't like the feel of it either, but it is better than O'keefs. Thanks for helping. J
[signature]
Boy I don't know what to tell you for sure. I seen people catching fish everywhere from 8 FOW to 13 FOW. I was in 12 FOW but it wasn't real fast where we were. I think tomorrow if you can find a spot to set up that will be a good spot. I usually fish the east side but I can't tell you it will be good tomorrow or not. The fish seem to be in schools cruising around and when they are under you, you catch fish but they didn't come by real often. Sorry I'm not a lot of help but I don't really have it figured out yet. Good luck, hope you have a fun trip. J
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]. I think tomorrow if you can find a spot to set up that will be a good spot.[/quote]

I think that will be the problem in itself right there[Wink]
[signature]
Yup on my way to join the crowd now. Later J
[signature]