Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Mantua report 1/3/2015
We arrived at Mantua at about 9am on 1/3/15 and discovered that every one else (and a few of their dogs) had the same idea. Fired up the new 10" Mako and that were happy enough from not having to drill a manual hole that any fish would be a bonus.

We only fished for a couple of hours due to a prior commitment, but managed to hook into 3 14" rainbows and one smaller rainbow which we let live. (Grandma had put out a request for some fresh fish).

The only fish we hooked into were trout. Reading all of the other posts I would have expected at least a few perch in the mix, but no dice. I am not sure if our location was just more trout friendly or if our lures were. We were fishing the south side of the reservoir on the west outskirts of the ice shack city using 1/16 and 1/32 ounce glow jig heads tipped with waxies, nightcrawlers and actually caught the majority of fish off of chartreuse power bait pellets on the jigs. Fished in about 5-8 ft of water with catches coming from just under the ice and on the bottom.

All in all not a bad few hours on the hard deck. Glad to have the tent and space heater later in the day as the wind picked up a bit. Also very pleased with the new Jaw Jackers.

There were a couple of quads on the ice, and one UTV that broke through near the south side of the reservoir with all 4 tires. Fortunately he was wise enough to try it out close to shore and had a winch and was able to pull himself out before we could pack up our stuff and lend a hand.

I think it is time to invest in an ice transducer for my Hummingbird 195c, or look for a flasher or underwater camera. I like the idea of a camera for the more engaging visual aspect. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
[signature]
Not an expert, but i think location is key to the fish you catch, sometimes a few feet will change the fish mix... If you're more in the open, you tend to catch the roaming swarm of bows... If you're near the weed beds you pick up the gills and perch and bass... Just my opinion, but seems to be what I see when fishing there... Lures were crazy for me this year, seemed like I would only catch one fish per lure and as soon as I'd change I'd catch more fish.... coincidence probably, but I never found a popular rig I wanted to stick with... Good luck... J
[signature]
The flasher is a better idea than a camera, in my opinion. I have used a Vexilar for the last 5 years and it has held up.
[signature]