Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba Carp
Anyone flyfished for Carp in Yuba? Lots of Idaho Buddies that fish for them and love the fight and since its so close to Gunnison I thought about giving it a whirl. Any input on size of the carp in there? Debating on the 5 or 8 wt.
[signature]
I have seen some very large ones in there I would go with the 8 weight for sure. I do use a 6 wt. on them as well.
[signature]
There's tons of dinkers especially you will see them flopping right before night but their's tons of big one as well. I've always fly fished with a 6 wt fly rod and still holds it's ground.
[signature]
Thanks I'll try out the salmon setup I put together this winter and see if I can't tie into a few next week. I'm headed towards the plateau this weekend.
[signature]
Actually caught a six pounder on my 2 WT yesterday fishing for bluegill and goldfish. It took about 20 minutes to land. Crazy fight, but I don't wanna do that again. I almost always use my 6 weight TFO BVK when targeting them.
[signature]
Nice! My goldfish on a 6wt Boo.
[Image: IMG_2258_zpse6407011.jpg]

This on Thursday on a 6 wt.
[Image: Carp1_zps3o4f3wgc.jpg]
[signature]
I have caught plenty on the fly there. Go with an 8wt.
[signature]
Is there any sight fishing or is it blind casting?
[signature]
I haven't targeted them there yet but will have a rod ready next time I go. I typically see them podded up near the surface in big dark schools which would be perfect for sight fishing. I have also seen them in the current seems around structure when it is windy.
[signature]
Almost exclusively blind casting from shore for me. Still I caught a ton of them letting a fly just sink.

I had one rod with worms on the bottom, and the other with the fly rod sitting on the beach. I couldn't keep up with the two rods because of all the "doubles" I was catching.

I will say this about Yuba's carp....
If you have the right gear you should be getting hits from them within 5 or so minutes. If not move and cover ground till you do find them. I like Painted Rocks boat ramp area, Oasis ramp area and west beach for carp.

BTW- The 10lb carp tend to trick their fair share of anglers into thinking they have a pike, so have fun and hold on!
[signature]