Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
weber river advice
Hi, I'm trying to learn fly fishing and was thinking of going to Weber river this weekend. I'm planning to start as early as humanely possible (which for me is about 7am) and fish some walk-in access points.

If I see fish rising I'd like to target it with dry flies. Could you recommend some good dry flies and sizes that might work this time of year?

And if I don't see fish rising should I just switch to nymphs? What nymphs work in the early morning?

Finally, I forgot the names of the good half of my flies already. Could you help identify them (see the pics)?

Thanks!
1,5, and 13 are hares ears just in different sizes and even hook styles. They work year round but I do the best with them from now until october.

2 and 3 are elk hair caddis and should be cast to those rising fish you see this weekend.

7,8,9 are caddis nymphs and should be used if you don't see rising fish.

11 is a prince nymph and can be used all year on the weber.

The rest i am not able to see clearly enough and/or wouldn't know the names of anyway.

Be safe the water is really swift in some parts of that river. Oh and why no streamers? or Softhackles.
[signature]
I have a woolly bugger (if this is what you mean by streamers), but I'm not sure how to fish it in current. As for soft hackles - that's the first time I'm hearing about this type of flies Smile I'll google it.

Thanks for your help. Good to know that I only need one dry fly.
[signature]
I never said you only need one. You need several if not several dozen.

Do a google search of effective dry flies for this time of year.
[signature]
Second what old troller said. Caddis dries and nymphs with streamers. I'm sure you heard by now the, "match the hatch," saying. When you get to the river turn up a rock in the stream, catch a bug out of the air or off the water's surface and identify.

May also be stoneflies in the water now.
[signature]
I'm always partial to the Yellow Humpy, anytime I see fish rising. See avatar for picture.

humpy
[signature]
I fished on Friday night and did pretty well below Morgan. The water is still a bit off color, so I fished a tandem nymph rig with a flashy fly above a smaller natural. Caught about a dozen whitefish and half as many browns.
[signature]
The Weber is an awesome river to nymph. I usually don't bother with dries on the Weber unless there are a bunch of risers and a strong hatch going on.

Looking at your flies, if you want to try to throw some nymphs I would put your Prince nymph (#11) on and about 12" below that I would put a small Hare's Ear (#13 or #1 in your photo). Put a little split shot about 8" above the top fly and fish it all under an indicator. Focus on some of the deeper runs and pools and adjust your depth with your indicator. Really focus on getting drag free drifts. That should find you some fish. Good luck.
[signature]