Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smith and Morehouse
We went up to Smith and Morehouse last saturday, and Holy crap was it packed. good thing we took up the kayaks so we could get away from everybody else, but honestly it was a bit crazy, on the dam people were within 10 feet of each other across the whole thing, and all along the shore was filled with people, and especially the boat ramp [laugh] there was bobbers all floating around where you would launch, anyway we got in the water and went across to where there were no people and got in thick with Rainbows, I was catching a lot, and was pretty proud till the wife got the hang of fishing out of the Kayak then she was kicking my butt all day [fishin] We caught all together probably 40 or so Rainbows from little planters to some decent ones, the wind picked up for a bit so we pulled out of the water and fished from shore, I got into one Tiger Trout that was a pretty good size, and the wife caught a grayling, which was really surprising Smile all in all, good day. glad that we could get away from the big crowd
[signature]
dang. That's not the report I was hoping to hear. I am headed up there in two weekends to camp with the family and was hoping for most of the crowds to be somewhere else. Guess I will look into borrowing someone's canoe or something so I can get away from people if needed. That being said, sounds like a great day out there! What were you catching on, and how deep?
[signature]
I love that place. I like to go up on weekday evenings early and late in the season. Way fewer people. I fish both form shore and from my canoe. I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE KOKANEE TO GROW! I caught my first arctic greyling there about 4 or 5 weeks ago. Beautiful fish and a nice surprise from the usual. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
yeah I am hoping it was just a busy weekend, I would hate to see such a pretty lake get trashed Sad But We were using Lil Jakes (the smaller size) silver with red dots, or just a plain silver Blue Fox while trolling up against the current, moving at a decent pace. that hooked us into a few good size rainbows, and on the way toward the dam with the current I was hooking up a sinker with a swivel and just a worm, no paddling. just drifting with the current, and that was killing it! so thats what I would recommend, (threw it about 40 feet behind my kayak)
[signature]
Yeah, you know I had heard that there was Grayling in there! I catch them up in the higher lakes at the trailhead near there, but I was so surprised when she pulled that out of the water! haha its a fun place. its nice because the other half is not super easy to access from shore. so fishing in a Canoe. Float tube, or Kayak really can get you away from the crowd ... I like fishing a lot as well Smile [fishin]
[signature]
Sounds like a fun day
[signature]
I was up there last weekend too. that is the most crowded I have ever seen in my 40+ years of fishing the drainage
Probably just the first good weather weekend of the year.

Did someone say kokes? I missed that happening
[signature]
Yup, 12,000 little kokes planted this year.
[signature]
That is so cool. I hope they take hold. What tigers there are left could much on them though.
[signature]