Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FG MAC HELP
Can anyone help me on mac fishing? I most of the time fish for bass,rainbow,kokes,but would like to figure out some MACS . Any help would be great maybe some tecniques and lure help
THANKS George
[signature]
Use a good sonar. Fish big tube jigs on the right rods and reels. You should probably fish with about 14-20lb test. (big tubes = 8-10" )

They hit them sometimes with very little movement. Just the boat moving adds action to a tube. Fish near the bottom[Wink]

I think if you do this you'll figure out the rest over time.
[signature]
Thanks sounds like a good start!
[signature]
Hire a guide. You will learn more in one trip than you can in ten to twenty trips on your own. A guide seems like a lot of money at first but sometimes it's money well spent. You will need a trolling motor with spot lock and a good fishfinder with GPS and charts to be consistent.
[signature]
Are most lakers located in areas with flat bottoms? 100 feet down? is it a waste to troll in steeper areas? Someone told me about a mound at 80' near Mustang ramp and to troll in circles but no luck for me.
[signature]
[font "Calibri"] maps made that show you exactly where the fish hold from season to season. [/font] The better maps will show the same seasonal areas, but will even include the marked areas with GPS coordinates. They may even portray highlighted areas for consideration. I would highly suggest the purchase of a good map.
If you fish for Kokes you see the pups at about 90' some of the big ones or on the ledges on the bottom.
If you troll you need to keep your ball in the mud so your downrigger is going up and down all the time.
but the pups are not hard to catch.
[signature]
Seems that in the canyon area there is not much mud on the bottom. And trying to keep the ball close to the bottom is a pain in the behind when it jumps 20 feet in an instant. I realize most Mac fishermen are up in Wyoming where the bottom is flatter. I try for awhile then give up.
[signature]
A good fish sonar will show you exactly where they are hanging out on the bottow, typically this is along mounds where the bottom goes from quite deep to about 90 -110 feet where the lakers watch for food. Jigging will usually get you a bigger fish, safer for your downrigger gear as well with the quick changes in depth.
[signature]
Lakers are structure oriented and are around 100 feet give or take 30 feet. The sit on humps, points, ridges and Saddles next to steep drop offs. a lot of times just off the edge of a drop. This is why a good gps and chart with topo lines are needed. There are ridges that can be trolled easy enough dragging the ball. I have a buddy that loves that. I like jigging. There are more spots from Linwood north but they are every where in the lake at some time in the year. I seen plenty around antelope flat on Saturday.
[signature]
I agree with Moosedog. Find a good guide who likes to jig, and you'll know what to do when you go out on your own boat. Ashley Bonser is terrific, and worth every penny.
www.flaminggorgefishin.com
[signature]
[quote UintaIce]I agree with Moosedog. Find a good guide who likes to jig, and you'll know what to do when you go out on your own boat. Ashley Bonser is terrific, and worth every penny.
[url "http://www.flaminggorgefishin.com[/quote"]www.flaminggorgefishin.com[/quote[/url]]

Ashley is a very good fellow, just one of the many reasons he books up fast.
[signature]