Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outcast Scout ( Ready For The Lakes )
I have final got the Outcast Scout done and ready for the lakes. Here are some Photos. Thanks for all the people on the forum that helped me with the Scotty Mounts.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Nice work. We will be interested to hear how it fishes for you.

I moved your post over to the main Float Tube board so that more folks would see it. After it has stayed here long enough to get some viewing and response I can move it back if you want.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks, No issue. Thanks for the help & the comments.
[signature]
Nice and clean! Good job. I have never seen the transducer pointing to the side. Why did you try that? Maybe I am missing something. I just got a new sonar after about 10 to 12 years. Old one finally died so I got the new Helix. I had to build a new mount for it because of the horseshoe mount on the sonar. Liking the bigger screen and the color though.
[signature]
Looks good! Be interesting to hear how it all works for you.
[signature]
No big reason on why I mounted the sonar that why, It was just the why I have always had it. I made the base and arm out of a old satellite dish, works good. Do you like the new humming bird helix ? What model is it? I have been thinking of getting me a new one. I like the Lowrance Elite.
[signature]
I got the Helix 5 without the GPS. I like it more and more.
[signature]
Just curious but does the helix work with ipilot? Trying to figure out if it would be good for a new boat or not.
[signature]
That I have no idea, but it has some great write ups. Pretty user friendly too. It does mount different that the other Humminbird models. It sits in a horseshoe mount.
[signature]
Looks great. I would like to land a sturgeon on one of them.
[signature]
Ron, That is a U shape like the X5 [Wink] It is about the same size as my Predator but more than twice as heavy. Bladders do that. That boat is one bladder for the U and one small bladder for seat. I would worry about Sturgeon coming into contact but that's just me...LOL
[signature]
The U shape for the X5 isn't a problem. The problem is the gas motor mounted on the open end. That is where the sturgeon are landed [Wink]
The biggest problem I have with this boat is not being able to use my gas motor and again if a guy did no where to land the sturg.
All the sturgeon I have landed on pontoons (over 160) have had dull scoots. For the most part they are not too dangerous for an inflatable boat. If I were catching ocean run fish under 6 foot I am not sure I would want to land them on my lap. Those ocean run fish have sharp scoots.

I had a rather slow year this year. Too much stuff getting in the way of fishing.

I took these two newbys out for their first Nantucket Slay ride.

[Image: Dan%2005_zpsva995pwd.jpg]

[Image: 8-1-15%20Ben%20fish%203%20B%20small_zpst88cbwzm.jpg]

Are you going to have a chance to come up and try your luck on a dino?
You need to tie up some flys on a 10/0 hook that have lead wrapped around the shank and the body is a sponge. Then get ready to get pulled around.
[signature]
Check this one out. The floor is drop stitch like the Stand Up Paddle Boards, so it feels solid. Easy to stand on.
https://youtu.be/LG2_xagbGm4

Or on that SUP dropped stitch floor the Fuzion F1. Yes you can run a GAS motor in either direction and even stand up.
http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/2014-pr...-2016.html
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Check this one out. The floor is drop stitch like the Stand Up Paddle Boards, so it feels solid. Easy to stand on.
https://youtu.be/LG2_xagbGm4

Or on that SUP dropped stitch floor the Fuzion F1. Yes you can run a GAS motor in either direction and even stand up.
http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/2014-pr...-2016.html[/quote]

Okay, one of of the things I didn't like about the X5 was the motor in the back and no floor. Landing a sturgeon in my opinion was impossible without going to the bank. If you have a 8 foot fish that weighs over 300 pounds how are you going to work over the side if there is no bottom on the boat? lets say it is just not going to happen. [:|]

Now that first one the contender. It appears that it has a ridged inflatable floor. You have the sturg on your line and it has rolled over on his back. You get down on your knees reach over the side grab the fish by the mouth. You got him and you can release him easy! again if the fish had sharp scoots I would be worried but in my opinion not an issue. [Smile]

The Issue I see that could be a problem is no fins in the water to control the fight. That would be different. It could lead to a fish jumping and actually landing on the boat. That said I like this little boat a LOT!!! [cool]

The Fusion I am not sure about. I have said before I like Daves motor mount on the X5 and the Skykomish because the torque of the motor is not put on the main frame. I cant see the mount real well on the Contender but it looks pretty good. The fusion I am worried about the strength with a gas motor. The SUPER, and I mean SUPER FRICKEN DUPER thing I do like about it is even if the frame completely failed I don't think it would take the seat section with it. I think it would be safe to try the gas motor but I am worried it would break off those small tubes.

I am not sure how the fusion frame is attached but the boat under it isn't going to give way because the frame on the mount did. I would be interested to hear if Dave thought the Fusion frame would hold a gas motor and what the max size would be. For that matter I would like to know the max size of motor for the contender. In fact what size he is using in the videos.

I think Dave has a hit with the Contender with the way I get to fishing holes. I don't like how low the oars are attached to the frame. In the video he hits his knees before they leave the water. I don't like that but the rest of that boat is awesome!! He should bring a couple up and we could test them on a sturg or two. [fishon]
[signature]