Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Northern Jordan River
Anyone willing to give me some directions on where to fish the Jordan River preferably as far north as possible?

I moved to Bountiful from Twin Falls several years ago and have not gotten out fishing nearly as much as I'd like because most of the lakes and rivers are far enough away that it almost takes an all day trip to get there then do very much fishing. I used to go fishing for a few hours several days a week before work or in the evening because there were multiple great places within 15 or 20 minutes of my home.

If anyone would be willing to PM me directions to some good spots further north on the river I would appreciate it.
[signature]
If you are in Bountiful, there are many other places I would suggest besides the Jordan River, but always worth a try ... do you fly fish at all and are you targeting any specific species?

Weber River and Ogden River are both not too far for you. If you want something really close many people fish Bountiful pond or Farmington Pond. There is also Adams Reservoir in Layton as well as the Kaysville Ponds right off the freeway.

Many if the small streams and creeks in the Bountiful, Centerville, and Farmington mountains also trout (small) if you are stealthy enough to sneak up on them.
[signature]
I've just recently been teaching myself how to flyfish, but most of the time I use plastics and spinners. I've fished a few of the streams around here and caught some small brookies, also been out to Bountiful Lake a few times and caught some planter rainbows and cats. Went to Farmington Pond this spring a few times and could catch as many planter rainbows as I wanted to.

I haven't tried the Weber or Ogden Rivers yet,, but they are looking like a 30-45 minute drive each way. If I have 3 hours to fish in a morning I hate to spend half of it in the car. Looking on the maps it looks like I could get to some areas of the Jordan in 15 or 20 minutes, I'm just not sure if there is any access or if there are any fish in those areas.

The other thing that makes me want to try the Jordan is that it looks like it has a big variety of fish and some BIG fish from some of the posts I've seen here and on other sites.
[signature]
Nice sounds like you are pretty familiar with the area already then.
From past posts I have seen also, I think you are right. Seems to be a large variety and some large fish pulled out of the Jordan. Hopefully someone else can help you out a little more than myself with that body of water, haven't fished it too much.

You are right on the time frame for Ogden and Weber rivers. 30 mins minimum, even longer to get to great spots up the canyons. Let me know how the Jordan fishes for you if you end up making it out there.

Thanks
[signature]
[quote Cantstopfishing]

I moved to Bountiful from Twin Falls several years ago and have not gotten out fishing nearly as much as I'd like because most of the lakes and rivers are far enough away that it almost takes an all day trip to get there then do very much fishing. I used to go fishing for a few hours several days a week before work or in the evening because there were multiple great places within 15 or 20 minutes of my home.
[/quote] I can't help with your question but I do know I would like to know some of those places near Twin you are talking about. PM or here is fine. Thanks.
[signature]
Dierkes Lake was my favorite spot. You can catch nice some nice bass all summer if you have a tube or small boat with a trolling motor. just go all around the outside of the lake and through a wacky rigged senko towards the reeds or this time of year top water is killer with pop r's. trout fishing is great in the spring and fall mostly planters, but I caught a few over 20 inches in there, the largest being 24 inches. Go back in the channel behind the boat ramp.

The snake river out past Murtaugh is great for small mouth bass. I had most success with small rapalas.

The rock creek river running though town is really good as well. Some nice Trout in there. I had the most luck with black and gold spinners.
[signature]
Go to redwood road and head south over the I-215 overpass. Just a little ways beyond there is access along a trail to the north end of Jordan. Can also access it from the legacy trail in north salt lake.
[signature]
Thanks.
[signature]