Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting this up again!! Advice needed
Hey All!! Just joined up on BFT and am finding the posts really enjoyable to read.

I used to fish all the time with my Pops years ago and stopped for quite a bit. After going out with a buddy i realized how much i loved fishing and went and procured all the gear needed to start up again. I'm trying to get a buddy to teach me how to fly fish, but until then it's the spinner rod using baits and lures/jigs.Even talked my Lady into getting a license with me so we can get out of the house and have some nice time together outside. Problem being, i haven't fished in so long i'm having a terrible time getting anything!

We live in Sugarhouse and the only time we can travel is on weekends. We've went out 2 Sundays in a row and haven't caught anything. 1 day up at Pineview fishing from shore and another day up at Rockport on a buddies boat trolling and drifting. Both times, we struck out and didn't even get a bite. We've taken some nights and have fished the Jordan River area by Winchester and pulled in a few small cats. Other than that, we haven't had any luck.

Can anyone throw me some advice on where we can go, locally, so i can get some fish on her pole and start getting her excited to fish? Taking her out at 5am to catch nothing isn't thrilling her anymore.

I haven't tried the local ponds in the valley, kind of skeptical on how well they actually are. Anybody have any advice on some locations on the Jordan where i can hook a few lunkers? Or any other river/lake/pond that we can go to so i can get the "fishing bug" in her so i can talk her into heading out to farther places?

Any help is very much appreciated. This striking out on a regular basis is starting to get frustrating for both of us!

Much Thanks,
Jeremy
[signature]
Welcome to BFT Jeremy. First I would like to know what species you woils like to catch? Trout, bass, catfish, etc... Then we can suggest some baits/lures and methods to try out and send you to a body of water prepared to catch fish. I wouldn't worry too much about the skunk. Some of us get skunked more times than we catch fish. [Wink]
[signature]
Idea #1. Watch a couple Youtube vids on using a fly and bubble. Then go get and assortment of wet flies from small to medium sizes., some bubbles, and nightcrawlers. Wake up at 5 again and drive up the Mirror Lake Hwy to Crystal Lake trailhead near Trial and Washington Lakes. Take the short, easy, hike to Wall Lake. And the mile hike weeds out the number of people that you'll see at Trial and Washington. The view up there makes it worth it before you even start fishing. Fish with a fly and bubble, and use some nightcrawlers near the rocks if you'd like. I'm thinking this is the closest thing to a sure thing you can get. This is the best idea, I think. Especially since you can stop at Dick's for a shake on the way home!

Idea #2. Blue gill at any of the local ponds is almost a sure thing, too. Lately, I've gone to the pond at Daybreak, because they have a great plalyground just yards from the fishing, so my kids can play while I fish. Using a nightcrawler under a bobber and you can get as many bluegill as you want. Make sure you use a small hook, those BG have small mouths. Using a hotdog in the same place and you'll most like hook into some catfish. We simply fish off or near the little fishing piers. You may not fish on the two piers that surround the "beach", FYI.

Idea #3. Multiple people have told me (publicly on this forum) if I want a guaranteed brown trout, go to the small park behind the dam and Rockport (Wanship exit) and fish the Weber just past the spillway. So I finally did that. And I caught two beautiful browns. I did have to wade into the water up to knees to get close enough the the main current. I tossed a double fly rig, with two bb shot sinkers and let it bounce along the bottom. Caught them both at the end of the 'run'. Buddy I was with caught two nice ones just a few feet from me.

There is a recent thread on here about someone having great success at Cottonwood Creek, and another about Millcreek. Those are practically in your backyard. Don't think you need a flyrod/reel to fish there; you can set up a spinning rod in a similar fashion.

Good luck and have fun. Enjoy the time with your wife. Fish is a bonus!
[signature]
Akammerman - Thanks a ton for all the tips. I'll be sure to try out one or all of those soon. We have a trip up to Mirror Lake area soon, i'll make it a point to visit Wall Lake while we're up there.

Albino - Honestly - when it comes to what fish we want, it's the one that get on the hook. I'm not a big fish eater but if we land something that is in a body of water that is clean (not the Jordan) i'll be sure to cook it up for the Lady.

With that said, i currently have a few power baits, a set of bass gear that included some plastic jigs, worms and curly tailed deals that came along with it, some spinners and some spoons. I used to fish for trout with but i'd really like to widen the range of what i can catch. Some bass would be nice, some bigger cats would be fun for the fight and thrill of pulling it in.

The lady doesn't like to "bait fish" as much as she likes to be a bit more active. Sitting down waiting for a bit isn't too enticing for her, casting out a spinner and such she's had some fun.

We've also tried Silver Lake Flats this season before they drained it. No luck there either, using power bait and earthworms.

Thanks again for all the help. Can't wait to see some more responses and advice to get this going!
[signature]
Take a drive up the Mirror Lake highway east of Kamas. Every lake that is close to the highway will have been planted this month for the 4th. Plenty of fish to be had. I don't blame your wife for not wanting to use bait. If she wants to be active use a fly and bubble and since you don't like to eat fish they are very easy to let go without killing them. Plus it's a great way to get out of the city heat and the scenery is fantastic.
[signature]
So many fish so many choices[cool]

For trout do the mirror lake highway. Use fly and bubble as suggested. Good flies would be olive woolly bugger, Mosquitos, Adams, royal coachman. Spoons I would recommend red/white stripe daredevil, spinners mepps style in silver blade and red white blade.

Jigs also catch trout

For warm water fish there are so many baits out there. Jigs work well bounced a long the bottom, cast near some submerged cover like trees and rocks. Other good bass baits are spinner baits in chartreuse/white and white. For the bluegill, green sunfish, perch tip the small 1/16 oz jig with a small piece of worm.

You will find bass at most community ponds, pineview, rock port, mantua, deer creek, and starvation to name a few.

I am not a big fan of sitting on the bank drowning bait either. I usually have to be casting something as well. Something that helped my wife enjoy fishing more was float tubes. I bought her one just after we were married and she has been hooked since. Tubes also help you get to places away from shore and where the fish are.
[signature]