Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trout subspecies
Hi All,

Long time lurker here. I can't seem to find any info online. I was recently up in park valley and it had me thinking of the trout in the streams on the south slope of the raft river mountains.

I thought I heard somewhere that those fish were a unique strain of Bonneville cut with a different phenotype that look more like a rainbow. No red slash on the jaw, more fine spots etc. Those creeks terminate into the sagebrush and don't run anywhere. So it would make sense that they could be genetically unique.

I also recall hearing that they were just called Bonneville trout, not Bonneville cutthroat.

Does anyone know anything about this or can point me in the right direction?
[signature]
There are several streams in that area that are home to Utah's only populations of native Yellowstone cutthroat trout. A variation of the Yellowstone is also known as the fine spot which you may have encountered.

I hope this helps.

Paul Birdsey
Coldwater Sportfish Coordinator
Utah Wildlife Resources
[signature]
Welcome to BFT! As Paul stated there are Yellowstone city's up there. Small streams that have wily fish in them that are fun to catch. Gotta sneak up on them though. I spent my time on the north slope though. I would be interested to hear what the south slope has to offer.
[signature]
Is this the same area you fished Kevin?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raft_River_Mountains
[signature]
Yep. There is a Forest river campground with clear creek going right through it. Rainbows in there. I also hit raft River and Johnson creek. The raft River portion I hit was on BLM land. Lots of private property do gotta have a good map. Johnson creek portion I fished above Yost in the national forest. I caught brooks, cutts, and rainbows. All depending upon the stream.
[signature]
Yea, that portion of Johnson creek is the part I spend a lot of time at years ago. Always wanted to try Clear creek but never did. You are sure right about there being a lot of private land there. I've also spent a little time on the South slope but don't remember ever seeing many creeks there but this was around Grouse creek if I remember correctly and it was pretty dry and rocky there. Seems like the area above Park valley was mostly private property.
[signature]
I know there are yellowstones on the north, side but I'm just interested in the south side. Most of it is private. The Hereford association owns it. I know there are fish in Dunn, Fisher, Pine, and Rock Canyon.
[signature]
Picked up both the national forest map and the BLM (grouse creek) maps of the area. These show both the private and public land on them. I have heard tell there are some monster Browns on the private parts. But.... I stuck to the public areas. I would think the south slope has smaller streams and harder to get too. Although there are s lot of ATV trails there. Always contact the USFS about the access there. The forest is the sawtooth and their office is located in Idaho.
[signature]
The maps of the area showing both public and private lands are available at the DNR bookstore on north temple and redwood in SLC.
[signature]