Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield/Huntington Ice?
Is this warm spell going to degrade the ice to unsafe conditions? The plan was to try Scofield on Friday with the new tent but maybe that's not happening. Maybe it will recover by Monday?
[signature]
I would think scofield is high and cold enough the ice should be fine. Lower elevation lakes I would stay away from. Call the state park for more info.
[signature]
The temps here is the valley are not gonna hurt anything. The temp difference between here and there is probably 40 degrees or more. Several times we have left Salt Lake to go fish Strawberry and it has been 40 here in the valley and 6 at Strawberry. Sometimes it has been 0 and below. Scofield is really cold country. Even if it warmed up to 40 during the day up there, the ice is not going anywhere until late spring. Go fish and enjoy yourself.
[signature]
I fished Scofield today for a few hours. There is about 8 inches of solid ice in the bay leading to the dam. I drove in to the State Park and parked at the bottom of the boat ramp. The entire lake appeared to be frozen over but I would be very careful venturing away from where you can see recent tracks of other anglers. I think it's too early yet to use ATVs or snowmobiles on the lake because there might be some unsafe ice around the lake. There were ATV and snowmobile tracks in the area where I was fishing. The dam area is safe for those vehicles but use caution elsewhere on the lake.

Chub Station Scofield produced very well. I caught 23 chubs in one hour and 15 minutes. I was targeting the chubs to use for bait later in other waters. I didn't really try for any other species.

I think the ice will remain OK for your trip on Friday. The ice has about 1 inch of snow on top so the footing is good and there wasn't any slick ice.

Mike
[signature]
I was out there also today with my daughter and had similar results. We were also bait fishing.

Thanks for the tip on the restrooms!
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
That's great to hear that someone else besides the big tigers and cuts where they're looking for the chubs . .. drop a worm you get the Chubs dropped Chub meat you get the cuts.... good luck to you.
[signature]