Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time to starvation
After 5 years of living up north I finally made it to Starvation.
I got on the ice @ 6:00 hoping to find a few walleye but none were willing to come play. Did find the perch I started in 28 fow and the perch did not leave that location all day. Like most reports the botton 5' was completely full of fish. Got so sick of watching red I shut off the marcum and diddnt need it. I was catching so many fish I tied on jigs to see if they wouldn't catch fish (craw dad jigs do not work, I found a regurgitated craw dad come out of a 10" perch I caught).
Perch even came up to 10' down to try my jaw jacket set up for the starvy steelies. I was able to bring home 33 perch ranging from 8"-10" and caught many many more under 8". Action was super fast until 12 then it slowed down. Also had the jaw jacket set up for trout and caught my limit.
Just wish mr 'eye would of showed up my bucket list for an eye through the ice is still found wanting.
[signature]
With that many perch in the area, the walleye are probably only feeding for short periods of time.... If I were you I would try night fishing that general area. (Shallow water can be especially productive at night).

Excellent report BTW, good work whacking those perch.
[signature]
Good report, thanks!
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Were you at Rabbit Gulch or a different end of Starvation? How were the edges?
[signature]
Sounds like you had a great time on starvation! What did you catch your steelies on if you don't mind me asking!
[signature]
@ Wagdog I was at a different location other than rabbit gulch.
The ice was a very clear 12ish inches. I was able to see the fish come up through the ice.
@ barbs78 I caught the trout on a "Tube Dude" wobble jig in glow tipped with a worm for a few and with perch meat for the others.
[signature]
Thanks isda. Sounds like no problems getting off/on the ice then.
[signature]
Thanks
[signature]