Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lower Provo
Was out on the lower Provo with a couple of friends the other day after work. Slow fishing. I missed a couple on small BWO imitations, and missed another on a streamer (it might just have bumped the streamer).

When I arrived, a buddy was fishing a salmon fly, which I said had no chance of taking a fish. A few minutes later he pulled one out on the fly. Amazing!

I've heard from guide in Wyoming that hopper patterns don't really imitate hoppers. They just target fish who are interested in hitting something big and gaudy on the surface. I don't know about that theory, but I think it does make sense sometimes to get away from 'matching the hatch' and just throw something that the fish haven't seen. If one fish here or there is in an aggressive mood, maybe it will pay off.

I don't really like fishing during the spawn, so I may be about done for the season. For the next while I'm going to switch to bird hunting. I do hope to get out to Strawberry again though. I've been learning a lot about fishing out there--thanks to those who have provided information about it.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Weather is still good to get to the Berry.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I've been up a couple times in the past couple of weeks and while getting a few, it has been slow for me too. Not sure why. Usually, the weeds are killed back by sub freezing temps by now and that hasn't happened yet. (just a guess)

+1 on getting up to the Berry. 2 friends and I went up on Wednesday and crushed it. (using gear)
[signature]