Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Auger Issues
I apologize if this isn't the right section to post this in. I currently run an Eskimo Z51 9" auger that I've had for close to 10 years now. I had no issues and it worked flawlessly for the first 6 or 7 years. The past couple years I've had issue after issue. I finally replaced the leaky fuel tank and carburetor and it seems to run fine. That being said, I think I'm ready to move on and try something different. What augers are you guys running and do you see a difference in running them at higher elevations? Are the propane augers worth it? Just looking for some suggestions on what has worked for you. Thanks in advance for your comments and I'm excited to be a part of the forum now.
[signature]
Lithium Ion. Either the strike master version or the actual ION auger. I've had mine for three seasons now and it's been the best investment. No gas, no fumes, light weight and quite.
[signature]
I had an Eskimo auger that I had to replace the 2 piece molded gas tank every year. Frustrating. It would leak at the seam every time. They would send me a new one for free every year. 2 years ago they sent one that had an entirely different design. Way more beefy and mounted different. I'm starting my third year, no issues. Man I love that auger, first pull start every time. Hopefully they solved the fuel issue.
[signature]
Nils. I supply the power. BUT, what really makes it work well is the quality of it's design and sharpness. That makes the healthy exercise easy. Besides, my body is also burning the calories to produce heat to keep me warm, so running around augering a lot of holes contributes to that quite effectively.

Nils is well worth the extra money and in a way it's even less work than a power auger because it's lightweight and it's better for reliability. Works everytime!

A power auger wouldn't be an upgrade. If I preferred that, I would buy one. I see no advantage.
[signature]
Nils auger is definitely the way to go, the eight inch auger is easier to turn than a 4 inch worth the money
[signature]
You might consider buying a 3/4 inch cordless drill and adapter to run your 10 inch auger. Look into it most people are very happy using a drill.
[signature]
Thanks for all the response! I've thought about adapting my auger to use with my Milwaukee 18v lithium drill. I may have to consider it more seriously. Also, thought about getting a Nils for a backup in case the gas auger doesn't start sometime but I might look into getting a Nils with the drill adapter plate that they offer this year. Thanks again for the input.
[signature]
I've been running the Eskimo Propane HC-40 with no issues. I like it because its quiet with less fumes and runs off the same propane that my heater does. That being said it is heavy, but it's what I wanted and I'm happy with it and never had a problem in higher elevations starting or in the cold weather. Also Eskimo now has a 5 year warranty. That being said I have heard great things about the drill setups and from what I have seen they are pretty impressive and light weight.
[signature]
Strike Master. I wouldn't own anything else. I bought mine exactly 20 years ago this ice season. And have had zero issues. replaced the blades once and a new spark plug every season.
[signature]
I have the Clam adapter for my Makita 18v. With both batteries fully charged, I have never run out of juice, and I have drilled over a dozen holes through 18" plus ice at the Berry in one day. Light weight, compact, quiet, no fumes, all the power you need. I would highly recommend one.
[signature]
Before you buy anything come with me and try a Nils on a drill.... I got a new 10" Mako last year, its a great auger, but I got the Nil's this year after suggestions from a friend... I was just going to use it for prospecting holes, I didn't think the batteries would last very long and thought it would be tough on my drill... Well once I tried it I'm totally converted, it's the best thing I've seen... Wish I would have gotten the 8" instead of the 6" and I would sell my gas auger and not go back... but since I need a bigger hole for some lakes I'll keep the gas one for now... Anyway I use a DeWalt 20V cordless drill that I already had for home projects it is a 1/2" chuck size so it will fit the Nil's attachment but it goes through the ice so fast it's nuts... It is quiet and I can punch a ton of holes on a single battery, so far I haven't had to switch to my other battery and like I said, I have drilled lots of holes each trip... Anyway let me know if you'd like to meet up and see this thing work... Later J
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Icehawk,[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]
[#800000][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Here are some thoughts you may want to consider. I don't know of a single person that has used an electric auger who would willingly go back to a gas/propane auger. There are several options with regards to electric augers. You can by a complete unit (the Ion comes to mind) or a separate drill and auger. With a separate drill setup, you can go direct drive or use the Clam plate set-up. However, if you think you might need the drill for anything other than powering your auger, I would advise against it because you have to modify the drill somewhat (each drill brand will be slightly different) to adapt it to the plate. Direct drive is better in this regard. For auger brand choice, you will find that just about anybody who has used a NILS agrees it cuts faster, smoother, and with less effort than any other brand, me included.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I use a Milwaukee Fuel 18V drill with 2 LI batteries (4ah) and have yet to need the second battery with as many as 40 to 45 holes cut through up to 14 inches of ice. I have the orange colored NILS auger (6") made specifically for use with a 1/2" drill chuck (you do NOT need a 3/4" drill for any auger that I'm aware of). It comes with the loss prevention plate attached to the top of it. It comes in 8" as well. The relatively new auger on the list is the K-Drill and I'm thinking of upgrading to it this season. It has some feathers I really like, such as drilling overlapping side-by-side holes without wondering and all aluminum (except cutting blades) for less weight. Bad news - $200.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]There are some super good deals on the website 'Milwaukee CPO' where you can get complete refurbished drill kits (full factory warranty) with charger, 2 batts, handle, case, and drill for around $300 and shipped free. that's what I have and it has worked just fine for 2 seasons now.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Good luck and tight lines to you.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Ran the ION for the last 2 seasons with no issues! Love it!
[signature]
I'm Happy to see the positive responses on the nils with the drill. I bought one this year but haven't tried it yet. I have used a 10" Eskimo in the past but found I didn't like the weight. I chose to go with the Nils due to the simplicity. It also came with a handle so if you did happen to run out of battery. Can't wait to try it out this weekend.

Jim
[signature]
Good afternoon. I don't post much (previously 6x6), but I just had to chime in on this one. For me, K-drill is the way to go. I had a NILS, and I converted it to a drill two years ago. I agree that they are awesome augers, and very fast. If paired with the right drill, it will serve you well. I went to a k-drill last year and will never look back. Two main reasons. With the k-drill, you get free life time blade sharpening which is a step up from the NILS. Second, replacement blades are on $40, and you can replace yourself. The K-drill is much lighter, durable, and extremely fast. Lastly, for me, the NILS struggled with overlapping holes to create a larger opening when chasing Macks at the Gorge. Piece of cake with the k-drill. The choice is just splitting hairs as they are both good, but for me, the k-drill is it. Of course, make sure to pair with the right drill/battery, and you'll probably never need another auger. Just my opinion.
[signature]
The K-Drill looks pretty appealing except I worry about losing it down the hole if the drill chuck lets loose for some reason and there isn't a flange plate to stop it. Although I guess it wouldn't be too hard to make one. I already own the Milwaukee 18v Fuel drill and a few batteries. . . .man my wife is going to kill me.
[signature]
Forgot to mention. Floatation is built in to the top of the k-drill. That being said. Mine has never come loose from the drill.
[signature]
Well, I think I'm convinced. I'm going to order the 6" K-Drill and keep my 9" Eskimo for trips to the Gorge. Thanks everyone for all the great info and suggestions! I'll let you all know how it works out.
[signature]
Do any of the shops in town carry the K-Drill?
[signature]
Not that I am aware of. I had to order mine online. I got the 6" as well, and was keeping my NILS for the Gorge. Then I realized how easy it was to just drill a couple of holes with the k-drill, NILS was sold the next week.
[signature]