Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plank
If you put a plank out to get on the ice, then watch a dozen people use said plank, DO NOT pull the plank when you leave...

Mod Edit...took out the threatening tone, let's keep it civil. Thanks
[signature]
Welllll, you can't necessarily expect someone to leave their plank every time they go icefishing and just buy a new one, can you? Also can't expect them to stay as long as the last person leaves. I sympathize with your wet feet, but on the other hand expecting someone to have your comfort in mind and you definitely wouldn't want to assume they're looking out for your safety.
[signature]
Wasn't a wet feet deal, was an up to your neck deal... They drug that plank a long ways uphill, can't believe that board was worth that much.. The only reason people went out is because there was a plank. Maybe I'm different, but I personally would have never done that.
[signature]
[quote Jedidiah]Welllll, you can't necessarily expect someone to leave their plank every time they go icefishing and just buy a new one, can you? Also can't expect them to stay as long as the last person leaves. I sympathize with your wet feet, but on the other hand expecting someone to have your comfort in mind and you definitely wouldn't want to assume they're looking out for your safety.[/quote]

I agree with this, better take your own plank.
[signature]
[quote CVfisher]Wasn't a wet feet deal, was an up to your neck deal... They drug that plank a long ways uphill, can't believe that board was worth that much.. The only reason people went out is because there was a plank. Maybe I'm different, but I personally would have never done that.[/quote]

I would never use someone's plank to get on the ice and assume that it will still be there when I choose to leave, that would not be smart.
[signature]
I wouldn't even leave my own plank, both because people would assume I'm leaving it there when I leave for the day and because it's pretty likely someone would just take it for themselves at the end of the day and leave me stranded on the ice in the dark. You also really can't be sure it wasn't someone other than the person who bought the plank that took the plank. Finally, you can't be sure the ice shelf won't move while you're fishing and cause the plank to fall in and float away.
[signature]
Personally, I feel if you bring a plank to get on and leave it there, watching 12 people get on the lake using it without warning that you will be taking it when you leave, well you just donated a plank!

If you bring a plank, leave it there, you see others START use it, you should take the responsibility to let them know you will be taking it when you leave, then it is their problem getting off.

I feel the most responsible thing to do is use your plank, then pull it away from the edge/take it with you so that others can not use it, then use it when you leave and take it with you again.

If you take someone else's plank that then shame on you!
[signature]
[quote Jedidiah]Welllll, you can't necessarily expect someone to leave their plank every time they go icefishing and just buy a new one, can you? Also can't expect them to stay as long as the last person leaves. I sympathize with your wet feet, but on the other hand expecting someone to have your comfort in mind and you definitely wouldn't want to assume they're looking out for your safety.[/quote]

Agreed.... As far as leaving my plank for others to cross and get on the ice I have no bouts about that, but when its time to leave, if that's there escape route they better beat me there... Would not could not expect someone to leave there's for me. And imo If I were to use someone else's would fully expect it to be gone when I retreated. As far as Letting others know that crossed my plank that when I leave it leaves, that to me is the fellers crossing responsibilities to determine, Should not have to chase down every person that crosses to let them know. It should be there responsibility...

Cheers...
[signature]
Seriously? I would not pull it and strand people, without warning. And, I'm not Even a very nice guy.... Learned a lot about some posters on here today...
[signature]
Sounds like the plank was about 15' or so long if so it was worth about $20 to $30 bucks..
I know I would not leave that on the ice..Bring your own $20 to $30 and you leave it on the ice and stop crying..
Or don't go fishing..
I brought a plank one time and some one else took it when they left and I got wet, so bring your own next time..
[signature]
not fun... sorry to here this, how was the fishing. taking son in morning. how long a plank?
[signature]
Sorry everyone that got stranded today, it was me that took my plank. I assumed since everyone got on and off the ice okay on Friday without a plank, that they could get off ok today. I thought the edges would have been better today instead of worse since it was so cold overnight. I'm really sorry if you got wet getting off, it was less than boot deep on Friday so I thought you'd be ok if I took my plank with me. Now I can see that wasn't a very good decision and I'm sorry for the inconvenience it caused. I'll try to figure out how to let others know when the plank will be leaving in the future. Sorry I can't afford to buy one for each lake I fish. Jeff
[signature]
What lake? We took our when we left Pineview this morning. But there was also 2 more planks from people smart enough to bring their own.
[signature]
Obama care is in ice fishing too lmao! Take your own plank.. nice enough to let you use his plank as long as he did imo
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]Sorry everyone that got stranded today, it was me that took my plank. I assumed since everyone got on and off the ice okay on Friday without a plank, that they could get off ok today. I thought the edges would have been better today instead of worse since it was so cold overnight. I'm really sorry if you got wet getting off, it was less than boot deep on Friday so I thought you'd be ok if I took my plank with me. Now I can see that wasn't a very good decision and I'm sorry for the inconvenience it caused. I'll try to figure out how to let others know when the plank will be leaving in the future. Sorry I can't afford to buy one for each lake I fish. Jeff[/quote]

What kind of people would use your property (plank) without permission? Did they come by and use your auger too without asking. Sounds like they grew up with a participation trophy or two. Amazing and Sad. They deserve to get stranded if they are that rude.
[signature]
If the plank is not frozen down into/partly under the ice like it has already been there a week I assume it is leaving with its owner. My plank goes where I go so it doesn't leave with someone who is not it's owner. Being Angry someone else retrieved their own property is in poor taste. Boy scout training goes a long ways if you remember it when outdoors, "Be Prepared".
[signature]
Sounds like this thread is escalating, let's stop feeding it. There's cases to be made both ways and they have already been fully explored. No reason to get mean about it...remember we're not the enemy, the fish are.
[signature]

I am Sad that you were in that unsafe position. I am equally Sad that in your post you took ZERO responsibility of being in that position and blamed somebody else for it. I am not sure what the moderator felt they had to remove from your post but I bet that it would have been disappointing as well.

Now if somebody only pulled the plank after they got off the ice and left it up the hill and had no intention to take it with them but did it only to be dorks then I can understand your anger.

I hope that we can all learn a little something from this. I know I did.
[signature]
Don't apologize for cleaning up after yourself.
'Pack it in,pack it out' right?
I for one appreciate you taking it out. Had you not, chances are it would be left until ice out and the wind would blow it back and forth in the lake until someone hit it with their boat.
[signature]
I've followed this thread with interest. There seems to be many opinions on the matter.
Here's my idea to make a reasonable effort to be upfront and considerate of others out on the ice. A small sign placed at the plank could advise others of the following:

ATTENTION ICE FISHERMEN

The 2x8 plank you see at your feet belongs to (your name here). You are welcome to use it to gain access to safe ice but be advised it may not be here when you are ready to leave. I plan to fish until about 4:00 p.m. and I will take my plank home with me to use on the next trip. I am not responsible if you fall off the plank and incur some injury. If you hear two long blasts from an air horn it means the plank is being removed and you’ll have to find your own way off the ice if you can’t get to the plank before it’s removed.
Good luck and good fishing.

BTW,
Please don't attempt to shoot down my drones. They all have anti-aircraft ground fire suppression capability. [Wink]

Mike
[signature]