Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lesson learned UL
So I loaded up 3 boys this morning on a whim as I looked at the weather and the rest of week doesn’t look so good and in a haste felt like I was forgetting something. At the the around 10:15 we put the boat in the water and it wasn’t cranking very good and I thought crap I haven’t charged the battery but it finally went. Going down he channel I looked at the gauges and the gas gauge showed pretty low and it was then that I knew what I forgot so I said we weren’t going to try bird island only the slough. It was still chancing it. We got to the slough and set up and quickly got one on. It was was a regular catch ever 15 minutes until we had boated 4 then it died so we moved. Nothing happened it spot 2 so I thought we would drift north of the dikes but lo and behold on the way over we ran out of gas.... stupid stupid me. So for the next hour me and my 12 year paddled our way into the harbor to the dock. Lesson learned don’t trust your gauges it still showed 1/8” above empty. So I won’t do that again. Good thing the breeze was from the north. I did see Richard and Violet and they had a good day I’m sure they’ll report but it was great to talk to them for a bit.
[signature]
I feel for you. Run out of gas a few times in my life and definitely not fun. At least now you know how much you can trust your gauge. And way to be brave enough to admit your mistake.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Once your off safe and chowing on a Big Mac, you can laugh about it. I once hooked a electric motor to my 16ft and ran up to a lake that did not allow gas motors. Had a blast trolling around catching fish right and left, thinking I was so clever while people gave me the stink eye. Then my triple battery set up gave out at the upper end and I spent two hrs rowing back as they all laughed at me. Humble pie dosent go so well with that Big Mac.
[signature]
Definitely not going to let it go below 1/4 but try to keep it above 1/2. We were originally going to bird island so glad we didn’t that would have been terrible. Glad I stuck in close.
[signature]
Curious why you don't just fill it up on your way home after every trip?
[signature]
To be honest I’m on a tight budget and on disability and only get paid once a month. Money is gone pretty quick. So i just pushed it to far.
[signature]
I understand.
[signature]
[quote Mooseman75] So i just pushed it to far.[/quote]

I think that we have all done that.

Glad that it ended well.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I know the feeling! Being used to my old 35hp and going to the 115hp I was surprised that going from LB to the Knolls was just about 5 gals of fuel. Think I will purchase a larger gas tank. Before I push things to far!
[signature]
I’ve made 5 trips to bird island and 1 trip to Saratoga springs and 4 trips to mud lake and then playing around in between while cruising at 30mph so I would say I get good fuel economy. Not sure how big my tank is but after yesterday I wished it was 2 gallons bigger.
[signature]