Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White Bass Question
The white bass I've been catching lately have been from a stream that runs through a park, there all filled up with bread from people feeding the ducks , same with the trout stomachs.
[signature]
Hey cat_man, I sent you a pm saying I may be going ice fishing at Scofield. After reading all the posts about tubing and Utah Lake I may be staying closer to home and not hitting the ice. Let me know how early you are going and where you will be. Also, let me know what equipment you suggest, rods, reels, jigs, flies, lures, etc. I am a local by Utah Lake but haven't fished it much. We'll see what happens. I don't have any good advice as far as the wife goes. Send her over to my house, she can hang out with my wife while we go fishing. Any kids?? I have a two year old so if you have a friend for him that would help too. I wouldn't mind taking my wife but I want to get in my tube and I don't know how long she would enjoy it on the bank at Utah Lake.

Still heading to Utah Lake State Park, Provo Center street?? Keep me posted, ASAP, so I can decide.
[signature]
I replied to your PM. I still plan on going by the state park, there's plenty of open water even out into the lake for at lest a 1/4 mile to a half mile. I went down this morning and checked it out on my way to work. It was snowing and there were ducks and coots EVERYWHERE. I even saw 2 white pelicans swimming around about 20 feet from the south dike. They look so awesome! I've never seen one so close up before. It looks like it could be decent fishing, but who knows I'm not that experienced in this type of fishing.

We can lauch from the south side of the river under the walking bridge -- no entrance fee there. I just need to find out for sure if my wife wants to come or not. I'll get back with you asap.
[signature]
With the low water in the lake, how deep do you think the water is where the Provo River enters the lake? Any chance of catching fish(white bass) from the shore there? I hear that the water in the marina in only a few feet so I would suspect that cathing anything there would be though.

m
[signature]
Well, the marina still had ice on it so I'm not sure about that. The river is definitely lower than I'd like, but you could easily fish from shore on the state park side -- the grass goes right down to the water's edge and the river channel is still at least 4-5 feet deep maybe more. The only thing there is you'd have to pay to go into the state park.

There is not much area on the other side to fish from shore, although there are a few spots. You'd probably need waders or at least a good waterproof pair of boots for a couple spots since that side is a bit muddy.

You could definitely fish for white bass there if you want. I'll be targeting walleye, white bass and catfish. If anything else decides to strike then fine by me too. [Wink]
[signature]
Thanks cat_man. In your opinion, what are the chances of actually getting a few white bass(or something else) there at the mouth of the Provo? I'm trying to decide if it is worth going out tomorrow, at Utah Lake or elsewhere.

m
[signature]
The DWR website says that a few people have caught a few by standing on the Marina docks and ice-fishing off of them -- the ice is too dangerously thin to walk out on. So I think chances of getting into white bass using a bobber and worm or small jig tipped with worm are 90% IF you can find a school. If you can't find a school, obviously your chance is 0%. They're there, but who knows for sure.

If I didn't think I could get any I wouldn't be going but I am so we'll see. I think there's probably a better chance to get a few white bass than there is to get any walleye right now. I just know that the best time to fish is when you can, so I'm going and hopefully I can hook something. I'll be happy even if all I can hook is a mudcat or two or even a carp.

I've caught dozens of mudcats in March at the bubble-up using worms on the bottom, but I've never actually caught a white bass this early. Good luck if you go.
[signature]
Thanks. Good luck to you. I don't know if I'll get out or not. My three year old daughter, who loves eating fish, told my wife that she wants daddy to bring home some fish. I was hoping to do that tomorrow but I have so many things to do and the weather is a factor. And if the goal is to bring home some fish to eat, then I really need to go where the odds are the best. I might end up on the Weber or at Echo instead. My chances might be better there until I know how you did at Utah Lake. Please post your report. Thanks again.

m
[signature]