Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jugging /Setline
Just wondering if anyone has some information or some tips for using jugs or setlines here in utah.
[signature]
[#008000]You should check out the DWR Fishing Guide for information on this. [/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]Here is the link to the DWR website section:[/#008000]

[url "http://wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks/2009_fishing/"][#810081][size 4]DWR FISHING GUIDE[/size][/#810081][/url][#810081][size 4] [/size][/#810081]

[#008000]This is a protion of what it says:[/#008000]

Setline fishing
Utah Admin. Code R657-13-8
Setlines are lines that are anchored to a non-moving object and that are not attached to a fishing pole. If you obtain a setline permit, and a Utah fishing or combination license, you can use a setline to take fish from the following waters: the Bear River proper (downstream from the Idaho state line, including Cutler Reservoir and outlet canals); the Little Bear River below Valley View Highway (SR-30); the Malad River; and Utah Lake.

The following rules apply to setline fishing:

You may not fish with more than one setline.

A setline may not contain more than 15 hooks.

When fishing with a setline, you must be within 100 yards of the surface or the bank of water you’re fishing from.

One end of your setline must be attached to a non-moving object that is not attached to a fishing pole.

Your setline must also have a legible tag attached to it that includes your name, address and setline permit number.

Setline permits are available for $15 at wildlife.utah.gov and from license agents and Division offices

A setline permit is a 365-day permit, but you must also have an unexpired one-day, seven-day or 365-day Utah fishing or combination license in order to use it (a setline permit is not valid unless it’s accompanied by a valid fishing or combination license).

If you’re under 12 years of age and would like to use a setline, you must have a valid one-day, seven-day or 365-day Utah fishing or combination license, and a setline permit

[#008000]Jugging is not permitted in Utah.[/#008000]
[signature]
I used to do it all the time down at Utah Lake. I would leave it out there for a minimum of 4 hours and a lot of times I would have fish on all 15 hooks. I caught everything from mud cats, channels, white bass, and an occassional walleye. I caught one cat that was pushing 20 lbs.

You can get pretty fancy when making a setline or you can keep it pretty simple. I bought 150 ft of steel line from Lowes and crimped on a steel leader every 10 ft. Then I attached a hook to the end of the steel leader. I always used circle hooks cause they are better for self hooking. Then I attached two large steel O-rings to each end of my steel line where I could fasten a large weight and tie off a jug. If I had to change anything it would probably be the steel line. Its durable but its very expensive and sometimes hard to work with.

Take your setline out where you want it, bait it up with an assortment of goodies and tie off a jug or bouy to each end then check it after a few hours or all day of fishing. Its fun stuff! Never know what your gonna get!
[signature]
In the proclamation it said that it had to be attached of to a fixed location. or does that work putting a jug on each end. Have you ever tried using it at bear river.
[signature]
[#008000]The criteria of anchoring the set line to a fixed (non-movable) object, probably was added to the regulations after the time when Tracker_guy was doing it. [/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]It would be a good idea to follow those regulations pretty carefully and to be in compliance with them. A Conservation Officer that sees one would carefully inspect that all facets of the proclamation were being adhered to. Also remember to be very carefull as the Bag Limits do apply and if you catch game fish over your limit, you are in violation and can be ticketed. Also, if you try to throw back dead game fish because you are over your limit, you are in violation of Wasting Game. Another ticket and possibly one for poaching - which can mean they could confiscate your fishing gear among other penalties.[/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]Another point that is mentioned in the regs, is that you now have to be in close proximity at all times to your set line. If you are not there the officer would confiscate your gear. It is a good idea to stay with your set line anyway, as set lines have a tendency to mysteriously disappear (fish and all) when left alone for very long - even in what looks like the remotest of areas. [/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]I have never done it on the Bear River, but have set-lines and have had permits in the past for use on Utah Lake many years ago - but only for Carp.[/#008000]
[signature]
I was not aware of the fact that it had to be attached to a fixed location. I know I read the proclomation before using my setline in order to make sure I was 100% legal so maybe like fishound stated the regs have changed. I have not used my setline for about 6 or 7 years.

As far as bag limits I never had a problem with fish dying while attached to my setline. Probably cause most of what I caught were those snarly old catfish that can live through anything!

I have never used a setline at Bear River, only Utah Lake.
[signature]
nice think ill have to buy a setline permit next year[fishin]
[signature]
First post. [Smile]

Quote:[#008000]Another point that is mentioned in the regs, is that you now have to be in close proximity at all times to your set line.[/#008000]

Fishhound, which part of the guidebook says this? Is it where it says "you must be within 100 yards of the surface or the bank of water you’re fishing from"? If so, my understanding of this reg means that my setline must be 100 yards or less from the bank. I don't think it means I must be within 100 yards of the setline at all times. I figure that reg about the "setline must also have a legible tag attached to it that includes your name, address and setline permit number" would inform any officer who the setline belongs to.

I was also thinking about using a setline, so I have been reading and re-reading the regs to make sure I am not in violation, etc.
When fishing with a setline, [#ff8000]you must be within[/#ff8000] 100 yards of the surface or the bank of water you’re fishing from.
[signature]
That kinda sucks.

When I helped my dad with his setline over 15 years ago, we left it over night. I guess times have changed and so have the regs. I will call DWR to confirm, but it does sound like you have to be present.

Thanks.