Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Renegade
Hi Folks,
Any one have an opinion on the Renegade fly? Never used one, but am going to give her a try this week. Thanks for any help offered.[Smile]

pa
[signature]
Its an old standard that's been around a long time, suggestive of a number of insects depending on size, and works very well on a lot of trout. Works especially well on still waters. Works best fished on the swing in creeks and rivers. In smaller sizes (16-20), it works well dead-drifted.
[signature]
It is definitely a go to for me. In fact, for Henry's Lake and the Uinta's, better have a good supply.

Many years ago, I was told that it was suppose to represent SNAILS, so I went with that notion.

Nice thing about the Renegade is it can represent other things as Jim said, just by do variations like, furnace hackle front and rear instead of white and furnace. Also try white front and rear.

Or wrap the whole fly with a furnace hackle like a woolly bugger and you now have a Mity Mouse.

You can fish it as a nymph, or a dry, OR tie a bigger one, add a tail and now a streamer.

OH, this was caught on a #12 Mity Mouse:

[Image: IMG_1785-2.jpg]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have been tying and using them...in all sizes...since the 70's. I found them to be a good fly for summerrun steelhead in California and a great pattern for all trout species in the Sierras. Have also caught all species of panfish and a few bass on them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After moving to Utah I found that the locals were using a big double renegade for big trout. They worked for me and I took a lot of liberties with various ties.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]In recent years I have experimented with tying "offshoot" patterns...using the Renegade colors but arranged differently. They still work fine. I call them "Near-a-gades". I even make some marabou jigs in those colors...calling them "Jig-a-gades".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[inline jigagade.jpg]
[signature]
Great fly! It works wet or dry on stream trout. I haven't used it in a lake, but I am sure it would work well.
[signature]
Great fly. The most underrated fly ever invented.
[signature]
works great on most high mountain lakes; I love it for the uintas.
[signature]
Fish on the Ogden and Weber LOVE renegades. If you can't match the hatch, throw on a renegade. Fished wet or dry.

I really like double renegades as well. Again imitates a ton of stuff and EXCELLENT when the fish are feeding on ants. Great Green River bug!
[signature]