Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kicken around Starvation
I got cabin fever so I headed over to Starvation to see if there was any open water to dip my tube. Most of the reservoir is capped and there were a couple of guys ice fishing near the bridge when I went by. When I got over to Rabbit Gulch I found what I was looking for, open water. I had to walk a bit to get to where I could launch the tube but by 10:15 I was in the water. There is only a couple of inches of snow on the ground so it's easy walking. I fished until 2:15 and only managed to catch two rainbows and had one other one on. The weather was great with hardly a breeze. I used a fast sinking line (#7) and size 6 leech patterns in olive and white. The fish were caught in 15' -25' FOW using the cast, sink, & strip method. The water temperature was 36 degrees and the visibility in the water was about 12'. It was a slow day fishing but when you can put your tube on a pond in January, I'll take it.
[signature]
Nice lookin bow. Yes tubin in january is something taken for granted. Always good to get out.
[signature]
Hats off! Nice fat 'bow.
[signature]
Thanks.

With a little luck it might be like the winter of 2011-2012 and that portion of Rabbit Gulch will never freeze. It's the only place I've ever fished where you can float tube and ice fish at the same time of year.
[signature]
Looks chilly! Nice healthy lookin bow
[signature]