Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordan River Report
Went out for the first time on the Jordan for about an hour last Friday and caught a small White bass. Had one line with a worm and another with a black and gold Panther Martin tipped with worm. The Panther Martin had a couple of bites and caught the one fish.

Tried again Saturday Morning with my two boys. First we tried further north on the river close to North Salt Lake, with no success, we then went to the spot I'd tried the afternoon before in Murray with no luck. had one white bass bite and jump out of the water but he then got off the hook. I was hoping to use a white bass as cut bait to try and get into some bigger cats.

Last night I went out again this time further South near West Jordan. Fished with a spinner and worms for a while, and was about to give up when the pole with the worm bent almost in half. I reeled in and then the fish took off. I then got it in some more before it was once again dragging my line out. finally after about 5 minutes I was able to get him to the shore. Unfortunately my net was too small to land it. When I finally got it on shore it was not the monster Catfish I had been picturing but was instead the first Carp I've ever caught. Couldn't find my tape measure, but it was longer than 2 of my size 13 shoes.

I have to say at first I was a little disappointed, because Carp have such a bad reputation, but the more I think about the more I wonder why that is? It was one of the funnest fish I've ever caught and one of the toughest to get in. I will definitely be hoping to catch more like that moving forward! Caught a small mud cat and another small carp and had another large fish break off the line after wrapping it around a log in the river.

It was hard to leave with the prospect of catching another fish that would put up a fight like that but I eventually decided I'd better call it a night. All in all in was a fun night and I can't wait to catch some more Carp!
[signature]
Sounds like some fun outings on The Mighty Jordan River. Locate the suckers and then invite me along. Would like to get some for bait.
[signature]
Carp are awesome fighters. they just are just trashy haha thats way cool tho. I have never fished the Jordan Smile
[signature]
Carp sure are a blast to catch but down right nasty to eat IMO.
[signature]
I feel your pain. I fly fish and have been fishing the Jordan almost daily as it is within walking distance. I have caught Carp from 6" to 38" and the best part of the Jordan is it is like a box of chocolates, you don't know what you will get!
Samples:
[Image: IMG_3139_zpscmzwpsog.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3114_zpsajvnss9y.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3101_zpsofleik2v.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3090_zps8pevziby.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2975_zpsxz8qpcnh.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2971_zpslwkoo4gw.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2954_zpsywuaxoeu.jpg]

Sorry for all the pictures but just an idea of the beauty of the Jordan. These were all caught on the same fly pattern
[signature]
Great pics Joni.
[signature]
Love the report. I need to try the Jordan again. Last time it was spring. Should be better now.
[signature]
Love all of those pics. I would also love to catch them on flies. Would you mind sharing a picture of what the fly looks like you are catching them on and maybe some tips on how to fish with it? I've just recently purchased my first fly rod and have been experimenting with it. I can only imagine how much fun those big carp would be to catch on a fly.
[signature]