Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Currant Creek
A few weeks ago I caught a nice bow at strawberry and I hadn't kept any fish for a long time so I decided I would take it home and smoke it up. It was the first fish I have ever smoked for my wife and she LOVED it! Since that trip I have only caught very small rainbows and slot cuts, and my wife wants more smoked fish. So I decided I would try currant creek since I hadn't been there in a couple of years. Unfortunate the fishing was pretty slow and the ones I did manage to catch were only about 14"or so. But I noticed something new at currant creek, a lot of the bays and shoreline have filled in with thick moss! I mean really thick! There is an area we always use to fish from shore that would be nearly impossible to do now because of the thick moss. We have fish up there for many years and have never seen this before. Does anybody know what causes a change like this?
Anyway, just thought I would post this report in case any of you are wondering how currant creek is fishing. I think I'll stick with strawberry for now myself.
I just wish there were more nice rainbows in strawberry though. It's funny how it goes though because 2 years ago I had a 50 fish day and I remember specifically that 48 of those 50 were rainbows. And last year and this year in the same spot I am catching 95% cutties. Seems like the rainbows are being harvested faster than they can be stocked? If that is the case I'd like to see the limit lowered to increase the chances of catching a decent rainbow from time to time. What are your guys' thoughts?
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I believe currant always gets a bit mossy near the end of the year.
[signature]
Yup, currant creek does become a moss monster later in the year.

The berry is a big place, and those rainbows have plenty of space to get away from us angler folk. The idea of putting more limits on the berry is a bad idea to me, I already avoid the place thanks to the slot on the cutts.
[signature]