Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Smallmouth Help??
Hey im thinking about a trip to the gorge in the next couple weeks to fish for smallmouth bass. Has anyone been fishing for bass this year yet? Have the fish turned on yet? I have never fished the gorge for bass but heard it can be good. Have the bass spawned yet and if not when do they normally start onto beds? What areas of the lake are most productive? I would appreciate any help. PM me if thats better for you. Thanks.
[signature]
They are talking about shutting down the harvest for the smallmouth at the Gorge next year.

When ice fishing up there this last winter a burbot was caught that had a six inch smallmouth in it stomach.

Might be something to think about.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
So are you saying that the smb fishing is not any good there anymore? Did the burbot eat them all? I thought i read lots of reports last year of the bass fishing being really good.
[signature]
It looks as though things may be changing up there.

Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I caught tons last June with my fly rod, fished the coves from Eagle Creek to Jarvies, nothing big but alot of them.
[signature]
Hello shawdawg,

I am no expert when it comes to the gorge but I have caught my fair share of SM up there. If your looking for numbers the Utah side is best. I fish the area from Hideout to the cedar springs boat ramp. Most of the canyon's and coves will have SM.

I typically just throw 2'-3' tube jigs in browns or greens. Jerk baits/crank baits can be really good some days. Drop shot rigs can really be good this time of year when the water is cold. When the hoppers and cicada blow on to the lake the topwater action is supper fun. Heck a black marabou jig will get plenty of attention.

I typically have better success near the end of May depending on the weather pattern of the spring. But I am sure you could go up and find some willing SM now. Might just need to slow down or fish deeper. But they are catchable now.

I have seen the SM on beds mid Jun and as late as mid July on the Utah side some years.

The WY side has bigger SM but a lot fewer. And as commented the population on the WY side is way down. Many believe that the burbot are prying on them.

Good luck...
[signature]
How do we catch burbot?
[signature]
We killed them with a glow in the dark white curly tail jig 2 1/2 inch tip with sucker meat.
[signature]
Anytime from the first of June on through summer will be good. There are tons of small bass (6-12") on the Utah side. UT/WY DWR will be doing a bass collection & transfer day for this size range in June. they will be moving them from Utah to Wyoming side to help the population out up there.

I fish the Utah side mostly from the dam up and I haven't found a bad place to catch SMB yet. I've even found a few places with some nicer 15-17" bass, so they are around too if you keep your eyes open. With a boat I'd search out in the backs of coves during the spawn. If you're stuck on shore check Mustang ramp area, Cedar Springs ramp area, dam visitor center and just walk the shore lines.
[signature]
Fishnate is spot on for the timing but the smb can be caught in the deeper waters, Carolina rigs, dropshots, or crawling a jig across the bottom. Browns and greens is what I usually use in the 3" to 4" range. When the makes get on the beds in the shallows, I will either use a white tube in the bed or a suspending jerkbait paused above the bed.

I like fishing the utah side for the numbers and up higher in Wyoming for the size. I like Lucerne bay, Choke cherry, and all the way down to Sheepcreek. Wyoming side from Anvil to Squaw flats. I use to fish up above Buckboard but the burbot have taken a toll.

Good luck
[signature]