Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
st george area questions
I will be headed down to st george to visit my wifes grandparents on sat, sun, and monday and am wanting to go fishing on monday. Does anyone know that area well and could give me some advice on some good lakes to fish down there. I would like to do some more bass/walleye/cat/whatever else fishing. If there are some great trout lakes down there it would be fun, but I am trying to catch as many other species as I can this summer. Any suggestions?

Jed Burton
[signature]
Jed-

If you want to catch bass, head to Quail Lake. They are BIG in that lake. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.
[signature]
Quail Creek Reservoir is just a couple miles from St. George (to the East, I think). It has some great bass fishing, as well as crappie and bluegill, and I believe a few rainbows too. It has some fairly good shoreline access too. I don't know how it is this year, but I went there a few years ago and it was great! I caught a nice 1 1/2 lb. largemouth using a spinnerbait. It was my first large one...several years ago.

(EDIT) this is the same as Quail Lake
[signature]
where should I fish if I head down there?

jed
[signature]
There are a few places along the highway that you can pull off and park, then walk down the bank to the waters edge and fish off the rocks. It is a very rocky bank, with good bass cover and submerged trees too, if they're not high and dry this year. Bring along some worms too. I saw a bunch of trout caught on worms, and even a 12 inch largemouth caught off a worm and a bobber near a submerged willow. You can also fish along the bank of the river as it enters the lake. There is a marina too, but I've never been there and I imagine you have to pay to get in. I'm not sure if you can get over to the East shore unless you have a boat...but the west shore looked pretty good to me (the highway runs along it for quite a ways. Hope this helps. I haven't been there for about 5 years.
[signature]
I'd head to Quail and try your hand at some largemouths. It is North of St. George, right off I-15 on the Hurricane exit. If you have a boat, you have to pay. Otherwise, you can park on the East side of the lake and walk to the shore. I have had luck with power worms (texas rig) Punch them through any structure you can find. You know the routine. Crankbaits work well from a boat. The biggest I have caught out of there was about 5 lbs. It's been a while though. Let me know how you do.
[signature]
Here is a link:

[url "http://www.catcherman.com/features/rigging/texasrigging030602sportmn.htm"]http://www.catcherman.com/features/rigging/texasrigging030602sportmn.htm[/url]
[signature]