Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salmon Falls Creek Reservoir/Walleye?
I am originally from South Dakota and used to do some Walleye fishing there. My Wife and I sure miss eating Walleye.
I just recently found out that this Reservoir had Walleye in it.
Where on the Reservoir would be a good place to start.
I have no boat but have a canoe.
How about camping? I am a tent camper. Can you camp anywhere or are there designated camp grounds only?
When I fished them in So.Dak. we used Raps, Little Jo Spinners and worms, Jigs, etc.
I would assume the same applies here.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
[signature]
I can't help you much with the walleye but I am hoping to hook one on my fly rod this year.

There are several access points on the east side of the reservoir just off highway 93. They are all marked: grey's landing, big sand bay, norton bay, the backwaters area. You can also access it at the dam just out of the town of rogerson. You can camp anywhere along the reservoir in a tent, but try to get somewhere off the sand because last year we camped on the beach and ended up with sand everywhere when a wind storm came up. It's not the nicest place to camp but it's decent. A four wheel drive vehicle is nice because the roads can get muddy/rough depending on the time of year. If you do a search of this forum you will find several discussions on SFCR with maps as well.

Hopefully a few of the salmon falls creek vets will chime in and give some specific info on where and how to target the walleye. Hope this helps.

Cole
[signature]
Access has already been addressed. I have caught eyes in all of those places. Like was already said camping is anywhere and everywhere. As far as a canoe goes you can fish there with one quite easily. I like my inflatable pontoon a lot for fishing there. It seems that the eyes start biting good about memorial day but some are caught earlier. I troll with perch Rapalas and crawdad cranks. We also use the normal crappie jigs and get crappie and perch. Walleye will hit the crappie jigs too. I troll with a worm harness. If you caught them in SD you will catch them here.
That area is prone to BIG wind storms. A big one will hit quick and most of the time from the west. Be careful on a canoe in that res. If you see a guy on a green pontoon, floppy straw hat and a long sleeved dress shirt stop and say hi to me. This is what my ride looks like. Ron

[Image: 7-17-10-07A.jpg]
[signature]
Thanks for the info Cole and Ron.
Hey Ron, that is a nice setup. Is it ever NOT windy in the Twin Falls area?[Smile]

I will definately have to give it a try down there this spring.

Dan
[signature]
Good info Ron.

Have you heard of anyone having much luck fly fishing for walleye there? I don't see why they wouldn't hit a large streamer trolled or stripped slowly on the bottom.

Cole
[signature]
Yellow and black leech as well as the halloween fly(orang & black) both with a couple strands of red flash in the tail will work #6 sinking line and count down to 40 before I start stripping in. Do loose a few flies hooking up on the rocks but that just lets me know I'm in the zone.
[signature]
I have talked to one guy that has caught a 30" walleye there on a fly rod. I think Scott is on the right track with the fly stuff. He is good at it. Ron
[signature]
I fish quite often for walleye at SFCR. Just got a new iPilot for my boat and am ready to use it. The best spot to try is Norton Bay. There is a small area to camp and there is a restroom facility. The water will be 20 to 40 ft deep early and the walleye love the rocks. Cold right now but that should warm up by June. The water was a little off color on Sat. and we did not fish for the eyes. Some could be staging to spawn, we pinged several schools of large fish but they would not bite. Norton bay has a decent road in and out. Maybe if you would like to go, you could PM me and we could see if we could get together.
[signature]
I am going to try my luck out there tomorrow I will post again and let you all know how its going.
[signature]
Fafa,
Welcome to the site. Hope you hammer 'em tomorrow. Look forward to this report, and many more in the future. Mike
[signature]
Is there a good leadcore/crankbait bite on this reservoir?

My whole life I've been a crankbait/jig pitcher, live bait rig kinda guy. The past few years I've really gotten into cranking with leadcore. I'm no expert at it, but have put some really nice fish in the boat.
[signature]
not sure about the crank bait here. Fished all day today and nothing for the walleye but the trout are spawning close to the shores they seem to only bite when aggrivated enough. but we got to see some nice antilope and a few beavers swimming around. so we only ended up with one trout about a pound but it was a fun trip and weather was nice
[signature]