Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation Bridge 1-7-15
I drove by Starvation today and stopped and took a few pictures of the bridge area for those that are wondering about ice conditions. Looks pretty sketchy to me, but there was a group out there on the southeast side of the bridge. It was 37 degrees at 10 a.m. when I took the pictures and the ice was moaning and popping constantly for the few minutes I was there. When I drove back by around 2 it was 43 degrees and the group was still out there.
[signature]
Thanks for the pics and update. I was wanting to head there this weekend but i'm kinda worried about this warm weather killing the ice.
[signature]
Did you go on the ice? Curious how thick it is!
[signature]
I'm going to assume those fellas drove down the campground place, can't think of the name right now. They are sticking close to the shore and they are the only ones there...not a good sign. Certainly helping me make up my mind on where not to go but thank you very much for the pictures.
[signature]
Thank you for the report, not the report i was hoping to hear but after having a family member fall through last year I am not going anywhere near until its safer..
[signature]
I did not go out on the ice. I was by myself and didn't feel to comfortable going out alone. There had been a few that threw rocks (idiot augers) out on the ice, but I don't know how long or when they did. I was the only fresh set of foot prints in the little bit of snow that was there, so I'm guessing it had been a bit. There was some open water about 150 yards to the right that isn't shown in the pics too.
[signature]
I can't remember the name of that campground either, but yes they went down from there. When I drove back by at 2 they had actually ventured out across that bay, which I was surprised to see. I could also see a patch of water near where they must have got on the ice that had opened up next to shore. I was hoping to find better ice conditions, I have really got the itch to ice fish again there this year.
[signature]
I agree with you fishnhunt. I would stay away from Starvy. I will be headed to some higher elevation ice this weekend. Hopefully we can get some cold weather back soon to make the ice on Starvy more stable. Here are some pics I took yesterday from the point at Rabbit Gulch. There is a lot of open water right now.

Open water looking across Rabbit Gulch
[inline RabbitGulch.JPG]

Uplake toward beach

[inline RabbitPointToBeach.JPG]

Across lake toward Indian Bay

[inline TowardIndainBayIsland.JPG]
[signature]
[#0000FF]That is CamperWorld. And anybody who drives in must stay on the dirt road to the right...not going through the campground. And once you get there you can't park up on the top...or you will get a lot of grief from the campground manager. Some real issues last year. Park down below or not at all.

The launch area is part of the State Parks system. But all the ground up on top is owned by the Campground.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]That is CamperWorld. And anybody who drives in must stay on the dirt road to the right...not going through the campground. And once you get there you can't park up on the top...or you will get a lot of grief from the campground manager. Some real issues last year. Park down below or not at all.

The launch area is part of the State Parks system. But all the ground up on top is owned by the Campground.
[/#0000ff][/quote]

This is no joke! I almost always take my truck fishing but I took one of our cars last year to save on gas and tried to park at the top of the hill (the hill was snow packed and I didn't think I would make it out of there with our 4wd). The park manager came running out and yelling at me before I had even put my boots on. Was not a pretty sight.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]That is CamperWorld. And anybody who drives in must stay on the dirt road to the right...not going through the campground. And once you get there you can't park up on the top...or you will get a lot of grief from the campground manager. Some real issues last year. Park down below or not at all.

[/#0000FF][/quote]

I learned this the hard way a few years ago. I knew about the launch area there but wasn't sure how to get down. I went right when I should have went left and ended up driving through the campground. I was going slow but I went through the campground. I found my way down to the boat ramp and the manager showed up about 2 minutes after I shut my truck off. He chewed me out good. I apologized all over the place and offered to bring him some fish. He lightened up a little. I made sure to go out the correct way as well. Haven't had any problems since and yes, you have to park in the limited area right there by the launch area.
[signature]
I was out there on Tuesday. It has maybe changed since then, but on Tuesday the ice was a solid 4.5 inches. I'm not sure what the temps have been like since then. When things started warming up around noon, we moved onto the ice in the shade of the bridge and it was fine.

There were plenty of feisty bows to be had.
[signature]
Any perch at all?
[signature]
No perch. We mostly fished 15-20 FOW. We did drill one set of holes around 40 feet, but didn't get any perch action.
[signature]