Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Crappie & Walleye update
[#0000FF]I got an email from Chris Penne of DWR confirming the successful transfer of some crappies from Willard...and the planting of the sterile walleye fry from the spawning of Willard walleyes. Here are the details.
[/#0000FF]

[#0000FF] [/#0000FF]
We conducted our crappie transfer last week for Red Fleet and it went fairly well. We moved about 125 healthy crappie that ought to make for good brood fish for Red Fleet. George Sommer from the Blue Ribbon Fisheries Council took some good pictures during the project and posted the pics on the Blue Ribbon website. See this link for a look [url "https://www.facebook.com/BRFAC/"]https://www.facebook.com/BRFAC/[/url] . We would have liked to have transferred a few more, but our trap nets we'rent particularly effective last week during this prespawn. I think we should have a bit better luck this week when were doing the transfer for Gunlock Reservoir.

The walleye spawn was a great success. I just got some final numbers from our hatchery personnel in Springville, so here is a summary:
[ul][li]A total of 507 female and 229 male walleye were spawned. (we only need 3 males for every 5 female fish) [/li][li]An estimated 29,736,685 eggs were taken during the spawn [/li][li]Female walleye from Willard produced an average of 63,310 eggs per female.[/li][/ul]
As you probably saw, one batch of 100% sterile fry has already been stocked in Red Fleet Reservoir. As more eggs hatch, those batches of fry will be tested to assess the success of the sterilization process. We were very pleased to see that first 100% sterile batch of fish and hope to see many more of those. On that note, our aquatic research biologist, Randy Oplinger, posted a good blog on our website about the sterilization process. That can be found here [url "http://wildlife.utah.gov/blog/2016/stocking-sterile-fish/"]http://wildlife.utah.gov/blog/2016/stocking-sterile-fish/[/url] . Willard Bay should be getting its share of fertile walleye fry in the next couple weeks. I'm looking forward to doing the chemical marking of those fish and am eager to see how well they perform in Willard again this year. Hopefully we'll see another good year of walleye recruitment from the fry stocking.

That's all the news I've got for now. I'll share more as the updates roll in.

Chris
[#0000FF]
PS...I mentioned to Chris that we are having some discussion on the board about this year's wiper sizes and numbers...and the potential influence of the heavier harvest rates by bait anglers. He will likely have a helpful response soon.
[/#0000FF]

[signature]
Thanks for the updates. Red fleet is going to be an awesome water soon.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Pat - you da man! Thanks for the update.[cool][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
[#0000FF]Got some more feedback from Chris on the size and harvest questions for the wipers. I told him I had proposed that it was a younger year class predominate over an earlier year class of larger fish size.
[/#0000FF]
Indeed I saw the thread about wiper size. You're right on all accounts. The 2014 year class of wipers is very strong in terms of numbers, so they are going to be well represented in the catch. There are certainly still plenty of the larger 20"+ wipers out there, the portion of the population they make up has just decreased by about 5%, mainly because of the abundance of fish from the 2014 year class that are between 13-18 inches. Last fall the percent of wipers in the nets that exceeded 20 inches in length was 30%, as opposed to 35% and 36% in 2014 and 2013, respectively; not that big of a difference when you look at the numbers, but with such a big wiper population that difference is certainly being seen and felt by anglers. And yes, looks like the shore catch has definitely picked up the last few years. I'll be interested to see what we find in our nets as well this fall. While I don't think it's likely that increased shore harvest during the spring will result in population level overharvest for the wipers, its one of the easier things to fix when it comes to fishery management. We can either stock more fish or put more restrictive regulations on the fishery, or both. Each comes with its pros and cons.
[signature]
Thanks Pat and Chris for the update it's interesting to see how these projects work out. Later J
[signature]
DWR=Awesome program!!!
Utah has finally come out of the trout dark ages.
[signature]
Thanks Pat and Chris for the info. Is there a way to find the Gill net survey from 2015 on the DWR website?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Here are the ones from the last three years.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks Pat!!!
[signature]