Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grantsville Res?
Does anyone here fish Grantsville Res? And is it any good for smallies? I know dwr has a keep all small mouth.
[signature]
I haven't fished there for a couple of years but here's what I know: Grantsville is primarily a put-and-take fishery for planter rainbows. I have caught some smallmouth in there although they were very small. Not sure if it holds any good sized bass. Brown trout reproduce naturally there and occasionally you can catch one. The lake is usually pretty noisy with all the hillbilly shore fishermen yelling at their wives to bring them another beer, which is why I seldom fish there anymore. It can be fun if the planters are cooperating, and there's always that slight chance you'll tie into a good brown. Lots of small to medium-sized crawdads in there too.
[signature]
May, 5 2012 at 10 P.M. full moon, Grantsville Reservoir 20 inch brown trout
[signature]
Attached is a pic of my boy with an average sized smallie from grantsville res. Some are bigger, some smaller. They're very willing to bite most anything they can get their mouth around. As the water warms they will get more active. Great opportunity for the youngsters, since you can literally catch one on most every cast. Took the scouts one evening last year, they had a blast. I usually rig up a mini tube jig and tip it with a little piece of worm. Cast towards the rocky shoreline anywhere around the dike, and Bounce it back. Best thing you can do is keep every one you catch, maybe they wouldn't be as stunted. Not to mention the fact that, its 'the law'.

As stated previous, lots of put and take rainbows and the occasional brown if your lucky.

The only way to get some peace and quiet out there is to walk a ways from the campground Or a small aluminum/ inflatable. As stated before, lots of atv's, bonfires, and noisy pickups near the campground.

On the upside, if you are willing to get away from the noise, smoke, and dust, it can actually be enjoyable. Deseret peak is a beautiful backdrop..
[signature]
Thanks guys for the info I might just have go and check it out.
[signature]