Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perch in Piute?
I just got to thinking about how Yuba used to produce huge perch, and how the F&G are trying to bring it back, with plants from Fish Lake. I then wondered, with Piute Res. being in the same Sevier River flow, why haven't they tried to put some perch or walleye in there?
[signature]
the DWR dont want perch in they'er blue ribbon trout river below piute..

the big problem with yuba perch is on the Sandpitch river side.. all the waters that flowed into Yuba from the that system had perch in them! well tell a kid drown in one of the ponds. (a good friend of my famliy's kid) well the water users decided that if there were not fish in the pond then kid's wound not swim in the ponds??? (i swam in that pond all my childhood)..
yeah i know you have to wonder just how stupid people can be!!! so the DWR went full metal stupid!! and killed all the blue gill, perch,sunfish, cat fish, shiners, chub, fatheads, and any other fish in the system but the carp!!!!! so now it a great big carp hachery maybe the best in the state!! just pumping ton's of carp down stream into yuba!!!!
[signature]
So do perch follow/inhabit rivers, streams, etc.? I've always assumed they prefer non or slow moving bodies of water. I guess, just because that is where people seem to catch them. (The more I learn, the dumber I get)
[signature]
well not sure if they like the fast moving river or not.. but i know they will move into any area they can up and down stream... i think there is a blue ribbon fishery above piute as well? but they would go as fare up and down as they can.. i know the smallmouth have found there way to yube a lot faster then the DWR thought they would so i think the perch would move to.. would be great for Yuba but i'm sure the DWR will not willingly plant perch in any lake inless it's yuba trying to kick start them again.. [crazy] but that is not going to work tell we get some water..
[signature]
My grandparents used to own property along Mona Creek between Burraston Ponds and Mona reservoir. The south side of the road where the old highway crosses the creek. We used to fish the creek from the tunnel where the road crosses the creek and catch Perch. We also have caught Perch out of the Jordan River in Lehi/Saratoga on several occasions. Neither of which is fast moving but I think that would lend itself to them traveling up stream.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Perch can and do live in moving water. But they are more likely to migrate downstream than upstream. Especially if they have to climb over a dam to get into an upstream lake.

Lots of cases of downstream migration of perch in Utah. Deer Creek to Utah Lake, Pineview to Willard, etc.

Yuba did indeed produce fantastic perch fishing during a couple of past cycles. But that was when water levels remained high enough for good perch spawning and they were able to produce enough young to feed all the predators...and themselves. Right now Yuba is too low and the predator-prey situation is out of whack...with all the pike. And the proliferation of carp does not help either.

Leave the management of Paiute to DWR. Putting perch or walleye in a lake just because they might do well is never a satisfactory reason for doing so. If the lake is being managed as a trout fishery then perch would consume a lot of the food needed for healthy trout.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]