Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where you Fishing This Weekend?
So I've been watching Hyrum, Mantua and Willard this week only seen about two people fishing on them.... I know Strawberry is getting into the glory season and the gorge has more ice than I can remember, bear lake has ice for the second time in seven years and so where is everyone going?  Or is ice fishing over for most of you by now?  

Was down to Smith and Edwards yesterday hoping to get some ice season close outs and nothing was on sale yet.  They said due to the new storm and cold weather lately they had decided to delay the season close out of gear...  So I bought the rod at full price since I'm hoping to get one more crack at big blue before I'm done...  What's your plans???  Later J

Anyone else bought some of those Jason Mitchell Mack Rods by Clam? I got one a couple weeks back and love it for Bear Lake, and since I hate tying on lures when I can't see or feel my fingers, I like to have a couple rods ready to fish, so I talked myself into getting another one... 45" XH it's as stiff as they come but really helps setting a hook when you're down deep... I always like to have a couple different options to try in case the fish don't like what I want to feed them... I've really had a tough time finding a tube jig that the trout like this year, so it's nice to have four options ready to try each trip... Anyway I'll quit justifying my splurge... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I've been wanting to hit Current Creek all year but I haven't yet, so maybe there. I'm trying to find out if they have plowed the road this year, with all this snow I wonder if they have been able to keep up.
Have you fished Current creek in the winter before? Seems like when I've went to strawberry ice fishing in years past that the current creek road wasn't plowed? Hopefully someone in the know can give you a better heads up on that, but I'd figure that is probably a location that would require a snowmobile to access this time of year... We'll see what others can provide for info... Later J
Gonna hit Bear Lake on Friday morning. Fishing has been good for my buddies.....now its my turn! :-)
(03-02-2023, 05:52 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: Gonna hit Bear Lake on Friday morning.  Fishing has been good for my buddies.....now its my turn!  :-)

You going to hit the pile?  If so I may join you if I can get the day off from work and my wife... Later J
(03-02-2023, 06:45 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(03-02-2023, 05:52 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: Gonna hit Bear Lake on Friday morning.  Fishing has been good for my buddies.....now its my turn!  :-)

You going to hit the pile?  If so I may join you if I can get the day off from work and my wife... Later J

Scott, if you're on the pile I'll see you tomorrow.. Good luck... J
Fishing Strawberry Friday thru Sat, staying all night. I downloaded a navionics app that gives excellent detail on the bottom contours of the lake. I’m excited to try some points that look good. Have broken 20”s in the last 2 trips. Also picked up 2 lake trout rods but haven’t tried them yet. One is a Tuned Up Custom Rod. It’s a fiberglass rod. The other is a Thorne Bros graphite rod. Both are 42”. Can’t wait to go to FG in a couple of weeks and try them out. (If it stays cold enough.) Never tried for lake trout thru the ice before. I also like multiple rods rigged so I can switch presentations quickly.
I’ve about narrowed my last 2 Saturdays down to Fish Lake and Bear Lake. Still hoping to add a species or two to the count. I’ve been to Fish Lake a few times, and looks like I’ll hit it this Saturday on a solo trip. I have never ice fished on Bear Lake, so that will have to be on the 10th or 11th, hopefully with Craig.

It’s been a good winter and I’ve enjoyed some new species and exceeding some personal goals. One new rod for me recently was a Ugly Stik Dock Runner. Paired it with a Shimano Sienna and it has performed well on several species. I’ve always been a “hook it and horse it in” guy, but that longer flexible rod tends to absorb a lot of fish energy and keep them on the line.

jack of all tackle, master of none
Hopefully I’ll be up at the berry to mess around with my new to me livescope setup Smile
On the computer looking for updates, upgrades, & possible equipment to add to the boat and tackle.  Big Grin  

WISHIN' I WAS FISHIN'
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(03-02-2023, 05:06 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Have you fished Current creek in the winter before? Seems like when I've went to strawberry ice fishing in years past that the current creek road wasn't plowed? Hopefully someone in the know can give you a better heads up on that, but I'd figure that is probably a location that would require a snowmobile to access this time of year... We'll see what others can provide for info... Later J

I have been a couple times in the winter and they had it plowed to the damn. That was also years without this much snow.
Hope everyone's trips went well... I had fun on the pile again, but I just can't force myself to stay out where the big fish supposedly roam... After an hour or so without a bite, I always head back to the hump and play with the whitefish... Little slower this week than last for me.. I ended up with 11 Whitefish, two were keepers for fish tacos.... One was 19.5" and the other around 17"...  I know I need to fish deeper to get a cut or Mack, but I just can't stay there when I'm not seeing much for fish and the ones I do won't even chase my offering... I've been pretty spoiled this year at Bear Lake, out of 6-7 trips I've actually caught fish every trip, that's a record for me, I usually get the Bear Lake skunken... but then again I've been padding my numbers with whitefish... they seem pretty easy to catch... I've had from 7 to 28 fish per trip this year including a few trout and Mac, but nothing with much size... Next time I may leave the pile and see if i can find a trout, so that probably means my skunk is on the way...  Brett if you and Craig head up on Friday, let me know if you want to circle the wagons?  Later J
Fished RP with Jmorfish on Thurs for perch. Found a lot of dinks, but the jumbos completely eluded us. I did have one wayward 15” bow decide my teardrop jig looked good, so he came home with me. Still scratching my head as to where the jumbos were. We were in 21’ of water. several other groups were deeper (probably 25-30’) but no one seemed to be catching anything of size. Maybe they’re even shallower now?? I’m gonna find out Monday afternoon! ?
We ended up in the Renegade area on Saturday and fishing was hot!! We did catch a bunch of little cutts, more than I have ever seen. Plenty of 18-20" cutts and several good bows. We did hit several spots of slush but the snowmobiles did just fine. There was about a foot of snow on the ice where we fished and no slush. We fished in 55' of water.
Sweet, thanks for that report... Sounds like a fun trip... J
Headed to Bear Lake in the morning.
(03-05-2023, 07:24 AM)MWScott72 Wrote: Fished RP with Jmorfish on Thurs for perch.  Found a lot of dinks, but the jumbos completely eluded us.  I did have one wayward 15” bow decide my teardrop jig looked good, so he came home with me.  Still scratching my head as to where the jumbos were.  We were in 21’ of water.  several other groups were deeper (probably 25-30’) but no one seemed to be catching anything of size.  Maybe they’re even shallower now??  I’m gonna find out Monday afternoon! ?

Same day as you in 45 FOW 
[Image: 35-BE29-DE-488-D-49-E9-AECB-1-EB85261-BFA1.jpg]
(03-06-2023, 11:31 PM)Kent Wrote: Headed to Bear Lake in the morning.

Good Luck Kent, hope you have a fun trip... Let us know how it turns out?  Later Jeff
I am trying to Talk Cookie into a run out to Blue Lake near Wendover. She hates the drive. I have not been for a couple years. Kind of a fun oddball place to fish once in a while.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Good luck Lance, that sounds like a cool place to try and explore a little.... Interesting spot... Have fun... Jeff