Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burraston and Salem Pond report 5-8-04
Fished both these ponds on the way back from Fillmore yesterday. Nothing at burraston ponds. I could see em' swimming around but I couldnt get a bite. I only spent about 15 minutes here because I was on the shallow side. The shallow water didnt help when casting my favorite lure. The KILLER MOOSE.

Next was Salem pond. I fished at the southernmost point on the east end. I saw lots of small gills or sunfish. I think I have a problem distinguishing the two. I wasnt sure what species are in there or in burraston pond for that matter. Salem pond is a really nice pond and i'm curious about what is used to catch fish here and do some areas of this pond produce more fish than other areas. I threw the KILLER MOOSE in several variations. I tried top water and spinnerbaits and small jigs. What can be had in these two ponds and what are the best tactics in targeting these fish?
[signature]
you are mostly going to catch planter bows in burrastons, they have a few blue gills there. i would use power bait.

salem ponds it is concidered a urban fishing pond, it has bluegill catfish and i have heard of bass being taken there as well, and it has bows as well, again i would use power bait or species specific baits for the catfish and the bass.

there is also spring lakes between santiquin and payson that is stocked with the same fish as salem
[signature]
I took the kids to Burrstans on thursday the 6th and did great. They were all planters but we could not keep them off. We were using a worm and marshmallow. We started out with 1 pole for everyone but it got to the point that i could not keep up with taking fish off and getting the line out before another fish was coming in so i started to do the pole rotation thing. It was a great trip and i plan to go back again. Just an FYI of you go please take a garbage bag and when you leave fill it up. I can't believe how trashy people can be.

You also mentioned Salem Pond, it is a great place to fish. My kids favorite place. Lots of bluegill, cats, trout and carp. A god place to but in the tube and sharpen your flyfishing skills.
[signature]
I do my volunteer class at salem pond. We have caught rainbows there about 12 inches and some small lmb.There are catfish in there and carp.You have to release all the carp in there though.They are a special breed .Cant remember their name right now.
[signature]
is it grass carp?
[signature]
yep that what it is!
[signature]