Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
stupid knees
well the dr informed me yesterday that my right knee needs to be replaced and the left one needs cadaver parts put in(not only NO but hell NO) guess i jumped out of too many airplanes. and he also told me to stay out of the river so I had to tell him to piss off. So we compromised with disabled plates and a promise to wear a PFD. but it got me to thinking. Are there any programs to help disaabled people to fish? Im not talking bout people that have no business being on the water, just those that need a little help. Im still mobile and as long as I am I will still fish. So if you see a old fat guy falling in the river, just yell at me and tell me to stand up and stop scaring the fish. The wife told me I will have all that stuff done so I guess its all settled[mad]
pa
Peace,Life,Liberty,and the pursuit of those who infringe on it.
[signature]
I have seen wheel chair access at a few places in Idaho. The fishing sucks there though because the easy access for the disabled means easy access for those who are not, and the areas are always fished out.
[signature]
My Father had his knees replaced a few years ago and he was in some serious pain for a while. But after the healing process ended he loved his new knees and wished he would of done it sooner. He gets around fine for an old geezer.
[signature]
Hey PA, very nice meeting you today. Hang in there, there are plenty of spots to go. We can carry you[Wink]
[signature]
My knees, shoulders and back have all gone south.
I got a pontoon boat and put a motor on it.
I do most of my fishing from the toon on still water now.
I love it!
[signature]
I had my right knee replaced last march 28th,and its great
hunted elk on it last oct.wish i would have had it done 5
years ago.
[signature]
[fishon] Pa get your knee or knees replaced I'm 42 had bone on bone in my right knee, got my knee replaced a year ago best thing i've ever done. I hunt fish play B-ball, I can do everything I used to but now I do it with out the pain.
[signature]
I don't know anything about fly fishing, but from what I can tell, those people are always wading out thigh-deep in water. I figure a boat wouldn't be good in a river...can you fly fish on a lake?
Anyway... I'm just an angler, and I stay on shore. Got a bad back, and I'm gonna have to learn to cast from sitting on a chair (tried standing the whole time last year...was in so much pain!).

This site doesn't have specific programs, but some tips that you maybe could use. The PFD sounds good to me.
http://www.geocities.com/scosmo451/

Good luck! Smile
[signature]
Hi there Vivid-Dawn and thanks for coming aboard. More women will be nice here.
Fly Fishing does have occasion to do some wading. That is tough even with good knees and back. Wading Staff is part of my gear now.
On stillwater, I do float from a tube or a toon, but I also like standing on shore. Been doing that a lot lately, but it would be a little harder to sit in a chair to fly fish because of the ground clearance for back cast. It can be done, but roll casting would be much easier.
It is a standing thing, but I will squat at times and still able to get the fly out.
Plus there is the visual thing. I like to watch the end of my fly line (before the leader) and that requires standing also. Where there is a will there is a way.[b]
[signature]
Hiya! And thanks for the welcome. I've been on the forums since...January I think. Just didn't really get into the fly fishing section, but figured it might have some good stuff to read anyway Smile
It looks too complicated, coordination-wise, for me...I'll stick to angling, I think.

Maybe a stool, rather than a regular chair? And a high one, like a bar stool, so it's almost like your standing? I don't know... just trying to help! Smile
[signature]